Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kernel.org Still Struggles To Return

Phoronix: Kernel.org Still Struggles To Return

It's been nearly one month since Kernel.org was hacked -- the home to the Linux kernel source-code repository, among other services -- but it's still not back online yet...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, they're rebuilding the whole thing from scratch. It's understandable that it'll take a bit of time.

Comment

Is it "struggling" to return if they're just taking the time to do things right?

Comment

Even though they are "trying to do things right", it still doesn't look good having a month of downtime after a security breach. You can be rest assured that MS already has a bunch of presentations in the works citing lengthy delays of recovery and using it as a horror story example to IT's who may be considering migrating to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Even though they are "trying to do things right", it still doesn't look good having a month of downtime after a security breach. You can be rest assured that MS already has a bunch of presentations in the works citing lengthy delays of recovery and using it as a horror story example to IT's who may be considering migrating to Linux.
          that kind of IT's probably have bigger problems if they "just believe" whatever a salesman pitches at them in a powerpoint presentation.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            that kind of IT's probably have bigger problems if they "just believe" whatever a salesman pitches at them in a powerpoint presentation.
            Well let's put it this way, if microsoft.com or apple.com used the same reasons for the long wait I'm sure the linux community and the slashdot community would be all over it mocking them.

Comment

You are right, this long delay should have some interesting results or it will be negative publicity to the Linux ecosystem.

Kernel.org should be updated in a massive way. Look at GitHub and their "Social Coding", Linux kernel development needs this and more nice additions to both developers and users. Easy forking, submitting patches and a foolproof bugtracker is a need.

I think full/partial PTS/OpenBenchmarking or something inspired on it should be into the Kernel.org framework. Automated testing of all kinds, automated building by using a buildbot-like system and such are very interesting for ease the development.

I also don't understand the reason Linux Foundation having too many sites. Why not unify them? Linux.com LinuxFoundation.org Kernel.org should be more merged externally, despite using different infraestructures. Domains should be used as shortcuts instead.

Another missing point from Linux Foundation is the lack of internacional presence. Where's sites or translations for different countries? Here is a short list of some Linux.* domains out there that aren't controlled from Linux Foundation:
              • Linux.es taken by "Asociaci?n Linux Espa?ol"
              • Linux.it taken by "Italian Linux Society"
              • Linux.pt taken by "Manuel Batista Martinho"
              • Linux.fr taken by "Eric Kranich" from SOLINUX / Vincent Vignole.
              • Linux.de taken by Globalways AG, it seems parked.
              • Linux.com.ar seems parked by some individual or company from Argentina.
              • Linux.pl by "Arkadiusz Bednarczyk AB-Com"
              • Linux.ru by someone I have no idea,
              • Linux.edu by "Linux Labs International, Inc"
              • Linux.org is taken by "Linux Online, Inc"
              • Linux.jp is taken by "Japan Linux Association"
              • Linux.kr is taken by a domain parker.
              • Linux.dk from...
              • Linux.eu taken by a domain parker.
              • Linux.be taken by a parker too.
              • Linux.cn by cngnu.net aka "Cngnu Network Technology Company Limited"

Seriously, Linux Foundation must have a stronger management both in technical and international stuff. Please improve this, this situation is too pathetic and needs to change ASAP for making Linux look like a lot more serious initiative.

Comment

Well let's put it this way, if microsoft.com or apple.com used the same reasons for the long wait I'm sure the linux community and the slashdot community would be all over it mocking them.
                i get what you mean -and have no problem with mocking linux or anything else for the matter- but a website isn't the actual product hence my comment

and kernel.org isn't exactly the first thing the average user will rush to to get his updates or something. it is down and i suspect apart from devs and geeks the average linux user didn't even notice.

Comment

Microsoft could try to spin this if they liked, but all it would manage is poisoning the well with any remotely-competent IT person. It's not like the stakes in a complete security audit are an unknown or something. It's an apples to oranges comparison if their scenario is anything but "someone with commit access to our operating system was social-engineered into compromised credentials and may have inserted malignant code", and in the first place neither Apple nor MS have a sterling record they can boast in contrast (and don't think they don't know it)

If they (any of them) somehow managed to...say, lose tens of millions of users' personal information (i.e. "Pull a Sony") I'd be all for laying into them, but that's not the scenario. Taking time and being careful while still developing the kernel? That earns my respect. From where I sit, their response was actually pretty on the ball, and it'll be relatively simple to turn git into the star of this show when it's all done.

Comment

I'm sure they would, but Microsoft and Apples customers would likely feel much more at ease than if they were rushing it. Chances are however that having Microsoft's/Apple's main servers compromised could cause serious reprecussions for their customers, with updates/registering and whatnot. It's not as if either of them would just move their source tree to github and say 'pull from here now' and just continue development, and given that linux development is going full force I don't see any harm in kernel.org taking their time to get back online (which obviously is delayed due to planning/implementing of new security principles). Chances are the reopening of kernel.org will coincide with 3.1 being released.

Comment

Working...
                    X