Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Ships Software Compilation 4.7.1

Phoronix: KDE Ships Software Compilation 4.7.1

The KDE team has announced the release of KDE SC 4.7.1. This is the first monthly point release following the major release of KDE SC 4.7...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE is so well managed!

Comment

its so well managed ... i actually don't even miss it. (switched to xfce because of an endless list of open bugs in their core-components)

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
        switched to xfce because of an endless list of open bugs in their core-components
        Let me guess: you're talking about KMail, Plasma and KWin?

Anyway, anyone who tried this can comment on what they actually broke/fixed this time?

Comment

try pclinuxos

try pclinuxos. hes almost without bugs (a few anyway) and better than *ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
            its so well managed ... i actually don't even miss it. (switched to xfce because of an endless list of open bugs in their core-components)
            Yeah, totally believable that you don't care about KDE but read news stories and comment on them anyway?
            How sweet of you to show your love for KDE though irony.

Comment

ACPI/power regression?

I just upgraded to the Kubuntu-supplied 4.7.1 packages and it completely broke PowerDevil. It can no longer see that I have a battery or AC adapter installed. Additionally, the options to sleep and hibernate are missing.

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
                I just upgraded to the Kubuntu-supplied 4.7.1 packages and it completely broke PowerDevil. It can no longer see that I have a battery or AC adapter installed. Additionally, the options to sleep and hibernate are missing.
                You can try to fix it with removing powerdevil config files in ~/.kde/share/config and then rebooting your system.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                  Let me guess: you're talking about KMail, Plasma and KWin?
                  Plasma of course, but also things like KMix or Ark or even their filechooser.

Had about 50 open bug-reports, but if the only thing that happens is that more and more duplicates are filed, and nothing is fixed it becomes frustrating. To me it seems they somehow have lost their focus (KDE PIM, KOffice, all other KDE apps), the KDE ecosystem is soo big the few devs left can't handle it.

I had been KDE user since KDE-1.1, and I still like it a lot. Its just that it's bugs bothered me so much, I switched.

- Clemens

Comment

I think the problem isn't so much size, but structure. KDE 4 did a lot of new things, and overall it did them well in my opinion, but it didn't do them perfectly. Be it the the switch to Qt 5, changes in underlying systems like with wayland, or just general hindsight, KDE developers have looked back over KDE 4 and saw what has worked and what hasn't. This has led them to start working on under-the-hood changes. These should make things faster, simpler, and easier to maintain.

The problem is that it is happening in a bunch of places more or less simultaneously. kdelibs, plasma, kwin, dolphin, NetworkManager, kdegames,

This also applies to the very way KDE is structured. KDE is moving to git, but it isn't just a straight move. Large software groups like kdeedu and kdeutils are being split into individual repositories for each application. But this requires making sure there are no dependencies between the applications in the groups, and if there are they need to be split off into a separate library.

All these changes are important for the long-term success of KDE. However, while they are going on there are fewer resources available for bugfixing, and in some cases bugfixing is a waste of time since the code where the bugs are found will be flat-out replaced. So there aren't going to be as many bug fixes, and far fewer feature improvements, until the switches are made. Once they are, however, it should be a lot easier to fix bugs and improve performance.

Comment

Working...
                    X