X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    VirtualBox modules haven't been submitted upstream at all afaik. It isn't likely to get merged in as it is.
    Why should they be submitted upstream? They work just fine as-is.

Leave a comment:

• kbios
    replied
    Originally posted by colo View Post
    Does anyone in here happen to know if/how qemu or qemu-kvm can detect and verify the presence and proper functionality of an IOMMU on the AMD 890FX platform?
    A far as I know, IOMMU is checked when you try to assign a PCI device, and an error message will be printed if it cannot be used.

Leave a comment:

• gilboa
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Yes, but those are _optional_, which is the point. If I do not need Sparc emu, I can disable it.
    Given the fact that qemu is open source, if glib bothers you so much, you shouldn't find it difficult you role you own, glibc-less fork, no?
    OSS, after all, is meritocracy and -not- a democracy...

Back to the subject at hand, I'm one Xen aware release of the nVidia binary driver away from realizing my plan to use a stable base OS as host (used for network services and work) running a number high performance guests (both Linux and Windows) with full 3D support.

- Gilboa

Leave a comment:

• colo
    replied
    Does anyone in here happen to know if/how qemu or qemu-kvm can detect and verify the presence and proper functionality of an IOMMU on the AMD 890FX platform?

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    In the grand scheme of things, GLib is a pretty trivial dependency. QEMU supports tons of "bloat" that only small minorities will ever use (e.g. SPARC emulation), because it can. It's the nature of the beast. We're talking about a project founded by a guy who also wrote a PC emulator in JavaScript. If you want Bochs or Xen, you know where to find them.
    Yes, but those are _optional_, which is the point. If I do not need Sparc emu, I can disable it.

Leave a comment:

• Ex-Cyber
    replied
    The commit mentioned two things, tests and threading in virtio-p9. Why do you believe all users should be penalized for a developer use case (tests), or a small minority (plan 9)?
    In the grand scheme of things, GLib is a pretty trivial dependency. QEMU supports tons of "bloat" that only small minorities will ever use (e.g. SPARC emulation), because it can. It's the nature of the beast. We're talking about a project founded by a guy who also wrote a PC emulator in JavaScript. If you want Bochs or Xen, you know where to find them.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    The commit mentioned two things, tests and threading in virtio-p9. Why do you believe all users should be penalized for a developer use case (tests), or a small minority (plan 9)?
    I trust QEMU developers to do their job since they have proven themselves over a number of years. I am sure they will accept patches if you want to help out though.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Bloat.

You really should get off your high horse.
    Reusing glib is the opposite of bloat. Rewriting each of the relevant functions would be much more bloat than reusing a well tested, mature and widely used library. I don't own a horse. I have a pony though :-)

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    Why?
    Bloat.

If the objection was anything technical, I guess we will hear about the specific details instead of this response
    You really should get off your high horse.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X