No announcement yet.

KDE SC 4.7.0 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really don't like the removal of the back arrow in the kicker menu, exploring those submenus is a pain without it.
    And the New Activity button on the desktop is really way too big, they should have left it as the plasma icon.

Why don't they make these things configurable not just change behaviour and looks without any fallback?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Is it normal that moving a window around (any window, it's not application-specific) results in the kwin process eating 60%+ CPU? Because that's what happens here. Actual effects (like minimizing/maximizing or "present windows") make kwin eat almost 100%, and that's when FPS go down the drain and the animations feel sluggish.

If there's load elsewhere (like watching an HD video or emerging [Gentoo user here] something) then it turns into a real crap-fest. Since everyone else has so great results with this, using the same driver even, I wonder what the hell is wrong on my end.
      Have you tried running a live cd with prebuilt packages to make sure it's not some configuration and/or compilation problem? I would suggest openSUSE 11.4 (but that's just a personal preference).

For me kwin _never_ uses more than 10% of cpu power and everything (minimization animation, wobbly windows, transparency, expose, logout fadeout, 1080p videos, games in window mode, ...) works without visual flaws or stuttering even with 2 monitors connected at 1920x1080 and my card set to low power mode (kwin with opengl backend, hd5770 with latest r600g + lastest drm-fixes kernel).

Comment

What CPU do you have? I'm on a C2D E6600 2.4GHz here. If you're on something like I7, then I imagine CPU load is lower since it's faster.

I guess I might try an openSUSE live CD.

Comment

Looks like launcher support in Task Manager is broken. Well, it was good while it lasted.

Will probably wait for KDE 4.7.5, as bitter experience tells me earlier versions will be too buggy for daily use. Sticking with KDE 4.6.5 for now, this release is rock-stable and fast enough for me.

Comment

What CPU do you have? I'm on a C2D E6600 2.4GHz here. If you're on something like I7, then I imagine CPU load is lower since it's faster.

I have a laptop that behaves similarly - when run out of the box with the nouveau 2D driver and software rendering for 3D. Makes me wonder if KWin is not picking up the hardware driver somehow?

Something is definitely wrong, but I couldn't tell you whether the issue is in KDE somewhere or the driver stack you are running.

Comment

It's an i5 2.4GHz (but if I'm not watching HD videos, playing games or compile something, it runs at 1.2GHz) and my average cpu usage is <2%, so it should be possible to achieve this with a [email protected] too.

Comment

Is it normal that moving a window around (any window, it's not application-specific) results in the kwin process eating 60%+ CPU? Because that's what happens here. Actual effects (like minimizing/maximizing or "present windows") make kwin eat almost 100%, and that's when FPS go down the drain and the animations feel sluggish.
                Everything's smooth here. All's just fine on my rather low-end laptop. Peak CPU usage of KWin in those situations is 12%.

If there's load elsewhere (like watching an HD video or emerging [Gentoo user here] something) then it turns into a real crap-fest. Since everyone else has so great results with this, using the same driver even, I wonder what the hell is wrong on my end.
                Your crapfest is likely caused by that crap that are rolling release distributions: Only minimal QA before new dependencies are shoved down the users' throat.
                No surprise problems seem to appear at random.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  Your crapfest is likely caused by that crap that are rolling release distributions: Only minimal QA before new dependencies are shoved down the users' throat.
                  No surprise problems seem to appear at random.
                  Arch Linux here using KDE 4.7 from [testing] repo and mesa stack from git: no problems at all. So, choose your words when referring to rolling release distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by pejakm View Post
                    Arch Linux here using KDE 4.7 from [testing] repo and mesa stack from git: no problems at all. So, choose your words when referring to rolling release distributions.
                    Just because with the current set of dependencies you have no problems, those distros are good?
                    No. Anything could break with the next update. I've read too many ?KDE sucks and I use Arch? comments here on Phoronix for that...

Comment

I just wanted to correct my self: You obviously need the openSUSE factory (12.1 milestone 3 and not 11.4) live cd to get KDE 4.7. You can get it here: http://software.opensuse.org/developer -> choose KDE live cd

Comment

Working...
                      X