KDE SC 4.7 Release Candidate Hits The Web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siride View Post
    And what is it, specifically, that system monitor does that free doesn't do? Obviously, keep in mind the scope of free, which is total system memory usage, and not per-app, for which different tools are obviously better.
    It does something like this:

The process akonadi_maildis (with pid 1215) is using approximately 4.5 MB of memory.
    It is using 3.8 MB privately, and a further 16.2 MB that is, or could be, shared with other programs.
    Dividing up the shared memory between all the processes sharing that memory we get a reduced shared memory usage of 752.0 KB. Adding that to the private usage, we get the above mentioned total memory footprint of 4.5 MB.
    However, when comes to total memory usage maybe you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
      Sometime ago, I filled a bug about akonadi / nepomuk *brutal* memory usage on kde, of course I obtained no response (well, I was expecting that). If you are concerned about kde memory usage , you could vote this bug:

As birdie has already pointed , opening a mysql instance to waste 200 - 300 MB of memory is just not the best idea to implement on a DE.
      Actually these bugs have been fixed in 4.6.x series. At least in Debian. My akonadi + instances eat < 5 (some akonadi services each ~900KB) MBs of RAM. I can pay that price for the ability of searching my documents.

I personally dug that bug and they believed that the bug is in indexer but while sorting out another bug, it magically disappeared. I don't know which commit or when but it vanished. I personally use my work computer w/ KDE and suffered from it for months. Currently akonadi services and mysql just sits there silently and peacefully.

OTOH, Akonadi should use virtuoso which really eats ~190MB, not MySQL.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        It does something like this:

However, when comes to total memory usage maybe you're right.
        If you read my post, not only will you see that I talked about that algorithm, but I also said that it was not a good way to get total memory usage, or at least no better than just using the summary from /proc/meminfo.

Comment

Originally posted by siride View Post
          If you read my post, not only will you see that I talked about that algorithm, but I also said that it was not a good way to get total memory usage, or at least no better than just using the summary from /proc/meminfo.
          Yes, but I don't know if system monitor uses this way to count the total memory usage.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            Yes, but I don't know if system monitor uses this way to count the total memory usage.
            As it turns out, it literally reads /proc/meminfo. Check the source (from http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kde-works...Linux/Memory.c line 103):

Code:
            int updateMemory( void )
            {
              /**
                The amount of total and used memory is read from the /proc/meminfo.
                It also contains the information about the swap space.
                The 'file' looks like this:

MemTotal:       516560 kB
                MemFree:          7812 kB
                MemShared:           0 kB
                Buffers:         80312 kB
                Cached:         236432 kB
                SwapCached:        468 kB
                Active:         291992 kB
                Inactive:       133556 kB
                HighTotal:           0 kB
                HighFree:            0 kB
                LowTotal:       516560 kB
                LowFree:          7812 kB
                SwapTotal:      899632 kB
                SwapFree:       898932 kB
                Dirty:            2736 kB
                Writeback:           0 kB
                Mapped:         155996 kB
                Slab:            73920 kB
                Committed_AS:   315588 kB
                PageTables:       1764 kB
                ReverseMaps:    103458
               */

int fd;
              size_t n;

if ( ( fd = open( "/proc/meminfo", O_RDONLY ) ) < 0 ) {
                print_error( "Cannot open \'/proc/meminfo\'!\n"
                             "The kernel needs to be compiled with support\n"
                             "for /proc file system enabled!\n" );
                return -1;
              }

n = read( fd, MemInfoBuf, MEMINFOBUFSIZE - 1 );
              if ( n == MEMINFOBUFSIZE - 1 || n <= 0 ) {
                log_error( "Internal buffer too small to read \'/proc/meminfo\'" );
                close( fd );
                return -1;
              }

close( fd );
              MemInfoBuf[ n ] = '\0';
              Dirty = 1;

return 0;
            }

Comment

I just installed 4.7 RC1. Kwin is even slower than before. It now officially holds the title of "worse performance in a window manager ever". It seems all this talk about "improved kwin in 4.7" is total BS :-/

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                I just installed 4.7 RC1. Kwin is even slower than before. It now officially holds the title of "worse performance in a window manager ever". It seems all this talk about "improved kwin in 4.7" is total BS :-/
                And if you switch back to OpenGL 1, is it still slow?

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  And if you switch back to OpenGL 1, is it still slow?
                  Do you mean the "OpenGL 2 shaders" checkbox? Yes, that doesn't change much.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    Snappy and smooth here on openSUSE.

Comment

What does the Show FPS plugin show when you perform actions like "Present Windows" and when minimizing/maximizing big windows that overlap with others? Here it goes down to 40FPS.

Comment

Working...
                      X