Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Kontact Ported To Akonadi, KDE SC 4.6.4 Is Out

Phoronix: KDE Kontact Ported To Akonadi, KDE SC 4.6.4 Is Out

The KDE camp has two announcements to make today: the monthly KDE SC 4.6 point release (v4.6.4) and that the next-generation Akonadi-based KDE Kontact Suite is ready. "Unsurprisingly, the port of Kontact to Akonadi is finally being released the same day as Duke Nukem Forever, making it relatively timely."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

About time, lol

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      About time, lol
      This

KDE is continuing to evolve and hopefully continuing to get better and better with each update, considering GNOME's going downhill with that boneheaded move to Unity

Comment

I'm using kubuntu-ppa and there's only KDE SC 4.6.4 update without Kontact.. Will the new Kontact be available in Kubuntu 11.04? Btw. it looks very interesting on MeeGo.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          Will the new Kontact be available in Kubuntu 11.04?
          Not as regular update. It's a new major version.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Not as regular update. It's a new major version.
            Hopefully it will get into backports some day.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              At the same time, KDE SC 4.6.4 is available as a monthly point release to deliver various translation updates and bug-fixes.
              Er, and where the heck is it? I can't find it. There are no files here:

ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/4.6.4/

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                This

KDE is continuing to evolve and hopefully continuing to get better and better with each update, considering GNOME's going downhill with that boneheaded move to Unity
                I wonder what your other 400+ posts might be.
                Looking at this one I don't have hope that they are any good ...

You see Unity is something from Canonical and not Gnome. Further the topic here is KDE and not Gnome.

In any case let's see if Akonadi is up to the task, judging from the bug reports it probably still needs quite some time to work great.

Comment

Does it mean that the most hated bug of KDE is finally getting a fix? Not bad... it only took 9 (that's right, nine, the number after 8 and before 10) years to fix that. At least that was the big promise of Akonadi. It gives me hope that the bugs I reported that don't have nearly as much votes will get fixed in maybe 30-40 years with some luck.

Originally posted by mat69 View Post
                  In any case let's see if Akonadi is up to the task, judging from the bug reports it probably still needs quite some time to work great.
                  Yeah, that's the real question. Akonadi shouldn't be deployed in systems that are meant to be used for real work, given all the problems that still surround it. It's a good concept though with lots of potential. Not to mention that KMail is the biggest problem that is holding the whole Kontact suite back. It's simply not ready for real-world usage with it's lack of proper html support to mention just one problem.

Comment

Originally posted by mat69 View Post
                    I wonder what your other 400+ posts might be.
                    Looking at this one I don't have hope that they are any good ...

You see Unity is something from Canonical and not Gnome. Further the topic here is KDE and not Gnome.

OK you got me there, but I mentioned Gnome as an anomaly.

Surely Akonadi indeed needs more work...definitely works a bit better than on KDE 4.4.5 and if they get it working without crashing or becoming a resource hog then so be it. The new Kontact sounds quite interesting and surely I'll be testing it out.

Comment

Working...
                    X