Problems With The GNOME Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by movieman View Post
    Every time I try KDE I keep going back to Gnome, but if Gnome 3 is the future I may have to give in and stick with it.
    Gnome3 is right here, so the 'future' is here, too. Worried? :> Seriously, even Canonical didn't pick up the gs, so there's a little chance it will get to wider audience.

Comment

I regret F15

gnome-tweak-tools does not fix the fact that gnome 3 is meant for the tiniest netbooks. I've been using Fedora since the first version and after a few days of daily F15 usage I think gnome 3 was the biggest mistake ever made by Fedora. They should have at least waited for gnome 3.2 because 3.0 is raw and buggy, that is, if they are really determined to marginalize the big screen user.

I think Fedora 14 for now is my best option. And after that only KDE/Xfce/LXDE.
      Last edited by Kakao; 31 May 2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        Seriously, even Canonical didn't pick up the gs, so there's a little chance it will get to wider audience.
        Ubuntu 11.10 will give you a choice between Unity and Gnome 3. Unity is OK on my netbook, but it suffers from similar problems to Gnome 3 on a machine that's used for real work (e.g. slow and clunky interface for starting applications or switching between them).

Comment

(Fake)

Comment

(Real)

Comment

So basicly, GNOME-Shell is a horrbile mess. I can't find any news in this?

Unity is the way to go if you want to follow the GNOME ecosystem. Meanwhile KDE is getting stronger again by the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Lattyware View Post
                On my Desktop PC, Gnome-shell crashes every time I launch it, it simply can't handle my triple monitor setup.
                My laptop also has issues with multi-monitor in GS. It works fine with a single monitor (Ubuntu 11.04 w/ GS PPA using GF 9400M and Nv blob), but the moment I enable the second monitor, all I get is two corrupted screens and a lock up.

Comment

It's definitely not for newbies. I don't know for who the gs is.
                  Funny you say this. There's been a few posts on planet gnome with devs giving gs to their computer illiterate friends and each time they picked up gs quickly (hmm, I think there was on person who had issues).
                  GS is pretty easy to use the it had problems especially if you want to do things in different ways.
                  Best/liam

Comment

Gnome3 is right here, so the 'future' is here, too. Worried? :> Seriously, even Canonical didn't pick up the gs, so there's a little chance it will get to wider audience.
                    Huh? There's already a GNOME3 PPA for Ubuntu natty which is quite popular, and don't forget that Fedora, also a very popular distro, is shipping with gnome-shell by default now.

I think the reason we some mudslinging going on here is because there are people who feel threatened by GNOME 3, fearing that their beloved KDE is going to be even further marginalized.

Comment

Those of you who are saying "real work" (as opposed to ivory tower happy sleep dream time play hour that those of us who is GS must be engaged in) are being both elitist and myopic. Because you can't use it no one can. QED. Obviously that follows!
                      GS has been stable for me as long as I use the oss drivers.
                      Various extensions (not simply the official ones) let you change so very much.

Now here is a concern of mine: the giant list of huge icons is a bad way to list applications. For one people generally know what they want to do but not the name of the application that does it (unless it's a primary app for them). The paradigm doesn't scale. Add fifty or sixty apps and it I simply a mess. A favorites section along with categories (but not as implemented) is a better solution.

Comment

Working...
                      X