VLC With Phonon Back-End Is Now Ready For Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    It's hard to have problems with phonon if you don't use phonon. Amarok for KDE3 did not use phonon but xinelib or GStreamer directly.

So my experience is with GStreamer, and not with phonon-gstreamer.

It's quite easy to understand this if you actually read posts before replying
    You do realize that you say the current version of gstreamer sucks, based on your experience with a way old and unsupported version of Amarok and KDE?

That makes you a troll in my book.

Comment

You can't use GStreamer instead of phonon, you can use GStreamer with phonon, or GStreamer directly.

Using GStreamer instead of phonon is like using xlib instead of GTK. Sure, you can do it, but for many people it is unneeded complexity, and having a saner, simpler API (=phonon) is really useful.

If you need all the power of GStreamer, you can always use GStreamer alone -- and lose portability and maintainability in the process. But nobody is stopping you.
      Yeah i noticed. That is why i said, your problems are with the backend, the backend sucks and is unmaintained, not gstreamer itself. This combined with the above, make you Troll^2.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
        That's funny. I didn't notice you spying on me all these years. Because that must be how you have knowledge of what worked and what didn't work in my computer, as well as what DE and/or WM I used, not to mention the compared performance of different video players. What I don't get is how on earth you managed to spy on several of us, for I would imagine we come from different countries...

That must've been pretty hard to pull off. In any case, yes, we were lying. It won't happen again: GStreamer FTW.

\o/
        No, i believe it is you who is spying on the whole world. The whole world is running a conspiracy to make you use gstreamer. CIA,FBI,NSA and their dog know that gstreamer sucks, but they don't care, us long as they ruin your personal experience. That is why every Ubuntu, Fedora and other distro user can stand the ultimate suckage of gstreamer, they derive pleasure from tormenting you.

Comment

Yes, that's what I understood. It's a replacement for phonon-xine, which is the default backend right now, and phonon-gstreamer, which never really took off.

This means that all KDE apps built on Phonon (like amarok and kaffeine) get all of VLC's codecs for free.
          if by "VLC's codecs" You actually mean all of libavcodec's codecs then fine.

Remember all these 2nd tear backend's are In fact using the FFmpeg/libavcodec API/lib SO go and help them fix any problems you have by simply writing a patch for FFmpeg/libavcodec ,actually subscribe to the FFmpeg/libavcodec mailing list and post these patches, and Make the 3rd party app dev's actually pull a current and up to date FFmpeg/libavcodec Directly instead of pissing about back porting Old versions of this fundamental FFmpeg/libavcodec API/Lib

Comment

Originally posted by next9 View Post
            Maybe you should start read more carefully. According to our experience GStreamer sucks in GNOME apps in GNOME desktop. There is no Phonon to blame!

I can not comment Phonon-GStreamer backend, because I do not use it, but I agree it sucks. it must suck since GSTreamer itself sucks
            Yeah i am sure you agree it sucks, you don't use it after all. I am sure that your agreement that it sucks doesn't equal a comment from your part...

LOL @trolls

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              FUD? You do realize that you are the only one here saying Gstreamer is fine right? Everybody here has the same issues with Gstreamer with the exception of you it seems.
              Most people use gstreamer. It is obvious based on gstreamer support of distributions, mainly Ubuntu and Fedora. So, if that was the case, they would switch, but they don't. There must be a reason...

Comment

Originally posted by next9 View Post
                Because somebody here called Phonon a bad idea and suggested GStreamer as a better solution
                Gstreamer IS a better solution. If KDE devs had their way in everything, we would remain in HAL for ever... GNOME, while conservative, makes better infrastructure choices...

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                  No, i believe it is you who is spying on the whole world. The whole world is running a conspiracy to make you use gstreamer. CIA,FBI,NSA and their dog know that streamer sucks, but they don't care, us long as they ruin your personal experience. That is why every Ubuntu, Fedora and other distro user can stand the ultimate suckage of gstreamer, they derive pleasure from tormenting you.
                  if you have a code problem with gstreamer and its current broken code then go and help them fix it and tell/force them to use a current FFmpeg/libavcodec API/lib by patching against these and actually submitting real working code.

and while we are at it , there is still a Need for active developers to go and actually Help VLC/gstreamer by developing it and actually helping to refactor its code-base if YOU are able and skilled enough to care and help them. they all state " patches welcome" so Go and actually make some and make them better today.

Comment

Originally posted by popper View Post
                    if you have a code problem with gstreamer and its current broken code then go and help them fix it and tell/force them to use a current FFmpeg/libavcodec API/lib by patching against these and actually submitting real working code.

and while we are at it , there is still a Need for active developers to go and actually Help VLC/gstreamer by developing it and actually helping to refactor its code-base if YOU are able and skilled enough to care and help them. they all state " patches welcome" so Go and actually make some and make them better today.
                    You do realize this was ironic, don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                      You do realize this was ironic, don't you?
                      Yes , You do realise it was said to all the reader's of this thread , not just You

Comment

Working...
                      X