No announcement yet.

Mono 2.8 Is Out With C# 4.0, Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate Mono for the same reasons I hate java. It's sloooow.
    But nowadays all the Informatics-students love those. I tell you all: there's brewing a horde of programmers which are more interested in easy good looking code than in speed and functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      Exactly. We don't need it at all. Mono apps offer no single real advantage over other Linux apps. Let's take Gnote which is consuming less memory, starts faster and doesn't depend on 50MB or so mono crap. The same about Shotwell compared to f-spot. F-spot just sucks while Shotwell is very fast.
      I don't understand why people must program in C, why not use Java instead?

It's for the languages and managed code. Managed code is inherently more reliable (In the sense that they have larger uptimes and don't necessarily exit on exception).

Mono is like OpenJDK lite. It's a easy programming language running managed but it's also lighter than Java. That's why people use it. If I could be assed to learn C# I would.

When I run banshee it takes up much closer to 18MB of ram btw, and runs significantly better than anything else.

Comment

C# is an awesome language, and .NET provides a ton of useful libraries.

That said, I'd never use Mono over Qt. The issue is a little murkier on GNOME, but I think for any project that wants to be accepted by the community that going with Mono would be a mistake in the long run. For a quick app for personal use Mono probably makes sense.

On Windows, though, .NET rules. Someone earlier said they'd rather use the win32 api over .net, and that is INSANE.

Comment

Originally posted by NoEffex View Post
          It's for the languages and managed code. Managed code is inherently more reliable (In the sense that they have larger uptimes and don't necessarily exit on exception).
          Exceptions are one of the worst things about Java; I've regularly seen Java programs crash when running for long periods because a rare exception was raised that someone didn't check for and that killed the software, or because someone did catch the exception and didn't do anything useful with it because that code had never been tested. And I can't see how anyone who's ever used Eclipse could believe that Java is inherently reliable.

Java is faster to develop than C++, is more portable in binary form and has a bunch of useful features due to the runtime linking (e.g. being able to determine which methods are available on a random class). And with the average user on a 2+GHz dual or quad core, the performance loss from running in a VM isn't important in most cases.

But you're likely to spend just as much time making it reliable as you would a competently-written C++ program; in particular, aside from random Exception crashes the use of garbage collection and lack of destructors is an open invitation to memory leaks as people forget to remove their objects from every list/map/set which points to when they're deleted.

I don't know how .Net compares, but I doubt it's any better.

Comment

Originally posted by movieman View Post
            But you're likely to spend just as much time making it reliable as you would a competently-written C++ program; in particular, aside from random Exception crashes the use of garbage collection and lack of destructors is an open invitation to memory leaks as people forget to remove their objects from every list/map/set which points to when they're deleted.

I don't know how .Net compares, but I doubt it's any better.
            .NET is much better. It has destructors, and more commonly uses the IDispose interface with the 'using' keyword to handle those situations.

You can even use unmanaged code in sections if you really want to.

It also allows you to easily catch all generic exceptions, and to hook in a global exception handler to catch anything not handled locally.

Comment

I just wonder the ones who just love C# and .NET stuff, why don't you all get back to where you belong? Go back to Windows and never look back!

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                Mono, I wonder whose idea it was to name it after a viral disease. Must have come out of Redmond, someone's got a very twisted sense of humor there. I would love to see the confidential emails about that. Maybe time for another Comes v. Microsoft.
                The people of the Monolith.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
                  I hate Mono for the same reasons I hate java. It's sloooow.
                  But nowadays all the Informatics-students love those. I tell you all: there's brewing a horde of programmers which are more interested in easy good looking code than in speed and functionality.
                  Why hate it for being slow when you can hate it for being bug ridden, insecure and promoting cognitive functions that border on retardation.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                    I just wonder the ones who just love C# and .NET stuff, why don't you all get back to where you belong? Go back to Windows and never look back!
                    You know, when Apple banned Flash from the iPhone, everyone thought they were being evil and moaned about how they were stifling competition and a terrible closed environment. But i get the feeling a lot of Linux users would actually applaud the very same action taken against their pet hated software. Luckily, Linux is an open platform and no one can force you to do anything you don't want to.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                      I just wonder where all the people who love *nix, why don't you go back where you belong? Go back to System V and never look back!

It's because .NET is good, yet the OS it's intended for isn't necessarily good.

Comment

Working...
                      X