KDE 4.5.1 rocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    The fourth time, actually, but this is the first time I've managed to keep it on my hard disk for more than 1 day.
    Strangely enough, that is exactly how I feel when I install Gnome.

Comment

And back to Gnome for me.

KDE 4.5.1 is still buggy, with kwin effects getting botched up randomly, Kmail failing to launch 50% of the time, applications taking too long to startup and other random madness. Koffice sucks, too.

Yeah, Gnome might feel stale from a design standpoint but at least it works - and I guess that's what I need the most. The speed boost is nice, too.

I'll be back for 4.6. Till then shalom, salaam, peace.

Comment

you are using ubuntu?

then: no surprise. KDE on ubuntu is pretty broken.

oh, and if you are using ubuntu: you don't use gnome either. You use gnome patched to hell to make it almost usable.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
          you are using ubuntu?

then: no surprise. KDE on ubuntu is pretty broken.

oh, and if you are using ubuntu: you don't use gnome either. You use gnome patched to hell to make it almost usable.
          KDE 4.5.1 on Arch. Read my first post on this thread.

Comment

arch is for pussies :P

and seriously: never had kmail problems with gentoo and all kde 4.5.1 kwin oddities went away when I turned on effects.

Comment

3D effects got fucked again, happy happy joy joy. Oh well. KDE is getting too heavy for this lappy anyway, so I usually run the minimum. You grow to expect an unstable desktop after a while though . It's still better than GNOME, that's for sure (yay, DE fight).

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                arch is for pussies :P

and seriously: never had kmail problems with gentoo and all kde 4.5.1 kwin oddities went away when I turned on effects.
                My understanding is that the kmail difficulties are to do with Akonadi and MySQL server. Basically things go bad if the machine doesn't get these up and running in time. Fortunately for me I don't actually use any Kontact applications any more so this really doesn't effect me.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  Who's with me? Lot's of polish over 4.4, it's almost as good as Ubuntu/Gnome now and much much better than out-of-the-box Gnome. Fix the performance and we'll have a winner!

Remaining pet peeves (Arch/KDE):
                  • KDM->desktop takes 10''. GDM->desktop takes 2'' (yay SSD). Why?
                  • Fix your damned panel colors. Too much transparency, too low contrast, it's hideous.
                  • While you are at it, let me size of the digital clock myself, kthx?
                  • And add a panel mode to the task manager already! Win7 and Mac OS X can't both be wrong there, can they? Hint: they are not.
                  • Ditch Konqueror, it's a terrible browser. Create a QT backend for Chromium instead. It will be easier than trying to make Konqueror not suck.
                  • Akonadi, Nepomuk, what the hell is this shit? What were you drinking when you thought up those names? (Minor peeve)

Still not enough to make me switch from Ubuntu/Gnome (which farking flies on this hardware), but at least I don't want to kill myself when testing on KDE anymore. And that's good.

Seriously, good job KDE guys! Looking forward to 4.6.
                  • I do not think that the slowness you are experiencing on Arch Linux is KDE's fault. I run Gentoo Linux on my systems and KDE 4.5.1 only takes a few seconds to go from KDE to the desktop on them.
                  • On my desktop, I see too little transparency. On my laptop, I see enough that KDE is gorgeous. I am not sure what the reason for the discrepancy is.
                  • I added the date to the digital clock on my systems. It made it look much nicer.
                  • As a former Windows XP user, I am not sure what the appeal of this feature is and I do not think that GNOME has it either, but if you want to see KDE implement it, then I suggest that you file a bug report. Features are not added to KDE unless bug reports concerning them have been filed.
                  • There is a webkit plugin for Konquerer called kwebkitpart, although webkit is a fork of Konquerer's KHTML engine, so your complaints are misguided. With kwebkitpart installed, the main issue in Konquerer is that its location bar is not very intelligent. Changing that does not require that you scrap everything and start from scratch. Scrapping everything was already done in the KDE 3.5.x to KDE 4.x transition.
                  • I use KDE and I have neither Akonadi nor Nepomuk installed. The fact that you must install them to install KDE is a fault of your distribution more than anything else.

I am looking forward to KDE 4.6 too.

Comment

I cannot believe how KRunner is still a joke, been for years now. The last time I remember it working was KDE 4.2.1, maybe 4.2.0. After that it's "fixed" in every release yet again also broken in some other way.

Currently it's very laggy: executing the typed command takes ~one second after pressing Enter. Sometimes it requires me to press Enter twice, the first one not doing anything.

Automatic command completion has been broken since KDE 4.3: the commands are not completed upon pressing Enter. What I mean is that if you type in "firef", it completes it to "firefox" automaticly, YES. But if you then just press Enter, it saves the "firef" as a command and the next time you type "fire", it completes it to "firef" and not "firefox" as expected to. That bug has been around, yes, for a whole year and two major releases now, and yet they are unable to fix it.

Seems to me some KDE developers should be fired and replaced with people who can actually do programming...

Comment

To add some complaints: System Settings has gone from bad to worse with the release of KDE 4.5. For some reason they've re-unorganized some stuff that was unorganized before.Some tabs have been split to a number of tabs for no obvious reason.

By the way, why are some keyboard shortcuts located under "Shortcuts" tab and some Xorg-specific ones are found under Keyboard settings -> Advanced? Logical? No.

GTK Style settings have been moved from Application appearance to its own tab. Logical? No.

What's the point with "Workspace settings"? To my mind the window frames are very belong to "Application appearance". They are a part of the apps ffs! There's only three tabs in WA and five in AA, there was no reason to split them up. And is the split logical? No!

AND WHAT THE F* FOR IS THERE THIS TOP-LEVEL ITEM CALLED "Workspace"!? It contains only one tab that should be under the Workspace appearance. Logical? NO NO NO!

Besides they could remove a tab from Application Appearance by moving Colors tab to be a subpage of Style. That's logical.

I'm glad they at least fixed Dolphin for KDE 4.5.0. Though the bugs were reported back in the times of 4.4.1. Don't understand what took so long.

Comment

Working...
                      X