No announcement yet.

KDE Software Compilation 4.5.1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would love to see a stable and usable KDE. But looking at the ever increasing amount of bugs I'm very pessimistic about the whole situation.

I would not be surprised at all if some distros stopped offering a KDE version in the near future.

Comment

You should know better than that...

Comment

KDE 4.5 works fine for me, and I think its in a good place of usability to compete with Windows.

Comment

Guys I am not here to bash kde. Actually that is my window manager of choice. I just had to comment on the kde being stable thing. It is just that I don't find kde 4.5.1 THAT stable in a freshly installed Archlinux. I didn't say it wasn't useable. That is just my experience.

Well kwin crashes with / without the blur effect on my machine. Without compositing it is much more stable, thats right.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
            I would love to see a stable and usable KDE. But looking at the ever increasing amount of bugs I'm very pessimistic about the whole situation.

I would not be surprised at all if some distros stopped offering a KDE version in the near future.
            Its like kde is emphasizing new features more than bugfixing.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              Arch Linux is shipping mostly vanilla upstream software with only minor changes. So no, it is not Arch's fault. My KDE problems are from upstream.
              openSUSE has ? except some custom branding artwork ? vanilla KDE SC as well.

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              Why people can not understand that we dislike KDE not because of a conspiracy but because it has serious problems?
              We understand just fine. It's no conspiracy that rolling release distributions do less QA work on dependencies and such than cycle release distros do.
              KDE SC works wonderfully on openSUSE but openSUSE's base system is pretty conservative and its maintainers don't just throw the lastest dot-0 versions of anything into the base distro.

Pretty much always when I read about serious instabilities with KDE SC, it's either Kubuntu or Arch.
              Kubuntu at least acknowledges its faults as the Kubuntu project members wrote in their own Project Timelord announcement.
              But you Arch people seem to always blame everybody besides your QA-unwilling packagers.
              If you want to use a bleeding edge distro, fine. But when you do, don't bitch when something seriously breaks.

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
              Yes, strangely KAMiKAZOW didn't answer which of these compile options makes KDE "unusable"...
              You make it sound as if I was online all that time...

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
                But you Arch people seem to always blame everybody besides your QA-unwilling packagers.
                QA = correcting mistakes from upstream?

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                Does GNOME actually have compositing at all? I'm not sure if Metacity does,
                Then why don't you google it?

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                but it certainly doesn't have fancy effects.
                But the advantage is that the effects it has do actually work.

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
                  openSUSE has ? except some custom branding artwork ? vanilla KDE SC as well.
                  Since when? I remember many KDE devs where angry because openSUSE backported too much stuff from trunk. As distros should do, there care about what they ship and try to fix upstream stuff. Any way, with the backports, openSUSEs KDE was better than the vanilla one.

Comment

That's what good distributions do. Then they also commit back to upstream. openSUSE for example has regular KDE and Gnome "Bug squashing" weekends. Many of those fixes that get found in upstream come from efforts like those.

Comment

*cough*Linux doesn't have a FreeBSD development style*cough*

Originally posted by tball View Post
                      Its like kde is emphasizing new features more than bugfixing.
                      KDE has hold back feature development in exchange for stability enhancements, bug hunting and workflow improvements for 4.5 and intends to do largely the same for 4.6. That's where the "In 4.7 this will come around" stuff comes from.

Comment

Working...
                      X