LL_10.04 has **not** exited low.beta status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I wonder if Wine has reached the point where it can run Windows viruses on Linux ? Just a thought...

And no, I'm not serious
    It can and it has. "Tested" it personally. From another nocd, which I needed to use because of DRM in original NOLF2 binary. See: http://www.playonlinux.com/en/topic-...ated_user.html

(using possiblity to hijack the thread - mode) AMD card linux owner counter on official site, would be very nice, btw Is there a chance?

Comment

Originally posted by dcc24 View Post
      For the love of whatever you believe in, can someone please lock this thread? Even looking at jaxjoe's text hurts my eyes!

Jaxjoe: Nobody cares about you/your problems/your pathetic existence. If you want people to take you seriously, I'd strongly suggest you do the following, in this order:

1) Pull your head out of your ass,
      2) Start using proper English,
      3) Report bugs if you want something to be fixed.

If all else fails (read: if you fail to do #1) do everyone here a favor and stay away from the keyboard. Go out! That bright thing on the sky is called the sun, you'll like it!
      Oops. Managed to read 10-15% of what the thread starter typed. Khm. He knowns linux pretty good.

Yet he bashes it, writes in kindergarten language, posts unrelated stuff, does not seek to get his question answered nor provides any logs.

He is breaking rules 04 and 11 of the forum by the way, and already for very long time.

I have
      AMD Athlon II x4
      Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H
      4Gb ddr3 1600 ram
      HD4770 with foss drivers
      2x500 sata from WD
      Hp b209a
      24" from Acer via DVI
      Techsolo low-cost webcam
      mstech wireless keyb and revoltec c202 wireless mouse both attached to active hub.

And everything works.
      And no, I dont expect any comments from thread starter, ty, planet has garbage enough anyway.

Comment

4 & 11

Padre:

Take rules #4 1nw 11 and shove them up your *zzwhole.

QUOTE=crazycheese;157536]Oops. Managed to read 10-15% of what the thread starter typed. Khm. He knowns linux pretty good.

Yet he bashes it, writes in kindergarten language, posts unrelated stuff, does not seek to get his question answered nor provides any logs.

He is breaking rules 04 and 11 of the forum by the way, and already for very long time.

I have
        AMD Athlon II x4
        Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H
        4Gb ddr3 1600 ram
        HD4770 with foss drivers
        2x500 sata from WD
        Hp b209a
        24" from Acer via DVI
        Techsolo low-cost webcam
        mstech wireless keyb and revoltec c202 wireless mouse both attached to active hub.

And everything works.
        And no, I dont expect any comments from thread starter, ty, planet has garbage enough anyway.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Not only do I run wine as a separate user, I run it in a 32-bit chroot to avoid having all that nasty crap on my pure 64 install. I guess it enhances security too, instead of just avoid inconveniencing me.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Not only do I run wine as a separate user, I run it in a 32-bit chroot to avoid having all that nasty crap on my pure 64 install. I guess it enhances security too, instead of just avoid inconveniencing me.
            Hey, curaga! How do you do it? I'd really appreciate if you tell how you do it (even if don't have wine installed). I know how to chroot, but how do you chroot into 32bit env on 64bit system only for purpose of running wine??

Comment

It's not much different from a regular chroot, you just also enable X apps by getting the Xauthority cookie there and bind-mounting /tmp.

Is there something specific you want to know?

Comment

It's not much different from a regular chroot, you just also enable X apps by getting the Xauthority cookie there and bind-mounting /tmp.

Is there something specific you want to know?
                Yes, some points:
                - should a 32bit distro with wine32 in it, be mounted inside live 64-bit(/mnt/32bitroot)?
                - should host system also have wine installed?
                - is host system required to be build with multilib support(ie able to run 32bit binaries)? I suppose yes..
                - I assume you should also allow xsessions for all local users.

The hole idea of how Xorg should work if you do such thing is hard for me to understand... :/ Im just curious..

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  Yes, some points:
                  - should a 32bit distro with wine32 in it, be mounted inside live 64-bit(/mnt/32bitroot)?
                  I'm not sure I understood correctly, but if I did, yes, that's required for any kind of chroot.

- should host system also have wine installed?
                  No

- is host system required to be build with multilib support(ie able to run 32bit binaries)? I suppose yes..
                  No. Only the kernel needs 32-bit binary support, not having to mess with multilib is one of the reasons for doing this.

- I assume you should also allow xsessions for all local users.
                  Not sure I understood, but maybe that's because I'm the only user of my machine. I just allow the wine user access to my current X display.
                  If you have multiple users, you'd just script the copying of the per-user .Xauthority file.

The hole idea of how Xorg should work if you do such thing is hard for me to understand... :/ Im just curious..
                  The network transparency lets one do fancy things like this
                  In my case, it just uses the same socket in /tmp as usual. But I could also have it go over localhost tcp.

Comment

Well hehehe ... that's got the wasps buzzing. Are my expectations too high, for an OS to transparently and automagically support streaming video ?

It's 2010 pilgrims and casual computer-lusrs expect lots ... and rightly so. It's not like the ol'-days when Linux could take **years** to make PRINT-functions just-work! Remember that funky usrland joke? Then there were graphics issues solved only by NV and ATI makin-bacon for the CLI_dweebs! Boyo was THAT an embarassment to casual visually-oriented lusrland.

Now --- of-course we are --- HERE !! When -- if ever -- will Ubuntu man_up to its responsibilities , polish its game and leave low_beta status? Tune in later for this real-life expose'.

Comment

Thanks thats awesome!
                      I wonder how it will behave on opensource drivers!
                      I will test it as soon as I can!

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                      X