Linux is not ready for Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember the Unix philosophy:

"Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work together. " - Doug McIlroy

Comment

• I think the problem is that the PulseAudio developers thought they could do better than the Unix philosophy and make an all-in-one perfect solution that everything would magically be made to work with.

"Sure, adopting PA is a bit of a departure for a couple of old-style Unix philosophies (such as "everything is a file" -- which is a pretty stupid philosophy anyway). But complaining about that is not really a technical argument to me. If we want to have a good, modern sound system for Linux than leaving some Unix legacy behind is the right thing to do."

- Lennart Poettering

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
        A real future oriented game engine, not this bristle-work called Source... <.=.<
        You're changing the topic here. As far as I know we were talking about the Linux facilities available to the game developers, no matter how poor those game developers actually are at it.

Comment

• Originally posted by p0larity View Post
          You're changing the topic here. As far as I know we were talking about the Linux facilities available to the game developers, no matter how poor those game developers actually are at it.
          PA, ALSA and OSS are not facilities available for game developers, but for software mixing libraries like OpenAL and FMod. Topic changed since long ago ... Nobody care about ALSA or PA in the video game industry and they are right.

Comment

• Originally posted by chaperon View Post
            PA, ALSA and OSS are not facilities available for game developers, but for software mixing libraries like OpenAL and FMod. Topic changed since long ago ... Nobody care about ALSA or PA in the video game industry and they are right.
            But those libraries need proper unpinnings.

Comment

• But...

All Linux games work with ALSA without any problems.

What are we discussing about?

The only issue is that PA is not completely compatible with ALSA, and now Fedora and Ubuntu is waiting for all of Linux Multimedia to rewrite itself.

If you stick to ALSA, then there is no problem, at least when it comes to game support.

Comment

• Well I'm sticking to ALSA. I'm not very fond of one-size-fits-all magical (and unUnixy) solutions.

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  But...

All Linux games work with ALSA without any problems.

What are we discussing about?

The only issue is that PA is not completely compatible with ALSA, and now Fedora and Ubuntu is waiting for all of Linux Multimedia to rewrite itself.

If you stick to ALSA, then there is no problem, at least when it comes to game support.
                  Nobody posts support requests regarding sound playback with games on an ALSA only system?

Comment

• Not to my knowledge.

Comment

• Well except for really old OSS-era games.

Comment

Working...
                      X