No announcement yet.

The Cost Of Running Compiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, the cost of using compiz is the lack of antialiasing on games. As soon as compiz is enabled i loose Antialiasing.

Comment

Originally posted by unbroken View Post
      Never seen any dwm crash. Broken ram perhaps?
      I've never seen dwm crash either. Hell say what you want about windows but aero is WAY more stable than compiz. And aero also doesn't effect gaming performance like compiz.

Comment

Originally posted by unbroken View Post
        Never seen any dwm crash. Broken ram perhaps?
        Mainly crashes when running games that don't list windows vista or 7 as supported and OpenGL based games. I can assure you ram and video card are fine. A couple of times I have seem it crash with steam based games. I have also seen it crash when minimizing games and alt-tabbing between a game and another application as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
          And aero also doesn't effect gaming performance like compiz.
          By what we saw in Phoronix benchmarks, Compiz+Catalyst doesn't affect gaming performance while Compiz+NVidia does. So it's an NVidia problem, not a Compiz one.
          Also, we have not seen a windows test with aero enabled/disabled to say some things for sure. Do we?

Comment

Originally posted by GNU/Blind View Post
            Mainly crashes when running games that don't list windows vista or 7 as supported and OpenGL based games. I can assure you ram and video card are fine. A couple of times I have seen it crash with source based games. I have also seen it crash when minimizing games and alt-tabbing between a game and another application as well.
            damn the 1 minute edit policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
              By what we saw in Phoronix benchmarks, Compiz+Catalyst doesn't affect gaming performance while Compiz+NVidia does. So it's an NVidia problem, not a Compiz one.
              Also, we have not seen a windows test with aero enabled/disabled to say some things for sure. Do we?
              its common knowledge aero does nothing to game performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                Doesn't affect performance on ATi because AA/AF settings won't stick with compiz on.

Comment

And aero also doesn't effect gaming performance like compiz.
                  Because aero is disabled then? Btw. Kwin is rock solid.

Comment

its common knowledge aero does nothing to game performance.
                    It was common knowledge for centuries that windows would pwn Linux in gaming performance till we saw Phoronix benchmarks few days ago.
                    I don't say you are wrong but common knowledge does prove nothing. Show me sources.

Comment

Aero does impair gaming performance as it disables itself on fullscreen. You can see this for yourself when you compare fullscreen to windowed. Case closed.

Aero is indeed very stable, but Linux is in constant development and deployement. Maybe Aero was considdered stable before Vista for all you know.

But... Windows has come a long way in terms of stability! Now they must focus, and they are with Windows 7, on speed and security improvement. With the legacy cruft and tools from the stonage it is inarguable that the people who coded key parts of Windows 7 are gods.

That doesn't take away that Linux is more awesome alround, though.

Comment

Working...
                      X