GNOME Shell 2.29.1 Arrives w/ New Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Once you pick something, you stick with it unless there is a *very* good reason to change. It doesn't matter that KDE became non-commercial at some point, because by that time it was too late: the choice was already made.

Even if KDE is superior to Gnome nowadays (I disagree), the difference is not large enough to justify the change. Doubly so for commercial customers, who treat change as the devil.
    This is now clear and what can I realize RHEL doesn't aim at typical desktops, so like RahulSundaram said: "The big picture is that, the choice of desktop environment is irrelevant to many of what is really important to customers.". I was wondering why did they choose Gnome, but like I noticed before it's also clear now. It wouldn't be clear for me if they would aim at the same target as Ubuntu, but I believe they're not aiming there. I was also wondering why did Ubuntu choose Gnome, but it seem they're making an OS X clone and Gnome is probably more OS X like then KDE.

Your complaints do sound somewhat trivial:

- yes, you have to use gconf to edit button placement but you can also download one of the dozen tweak apps in existence. Interestingly, none of the users I support has asked me for a way to tweak the buttons (I guess Ubuntu 10.04 will change that).

- no there's no GUI for screensaver preferences. Still, who in their right mind uses screensavers nowadays? That's a Win98 relic. (Or do you really enjoying having your laptop/desktop fans ramp up and power consumption jump by 200% when you are not using your computer? Doesn't really make sense.)

- what icons can't you sort?
    Yes, they're trivial (my main objections are related to some applications, but it doesn't matter right now). Ok, I can agree with the first and the second and I didn't know there exist some tweaking apps. I was talking about the desktop icons. I don't remember if there's an option to sort them (I was using the newest, stable Fedora release one or two weeks ago).

Comment

We support Gnome, because it provides the most sane, intuitive and consistent experience, as well as the best applications in the Linux world.
      Gnome is very customizable.

ROTFL ... Seriously that was the best joke I've heard this week

Comment

The only people who try to argue that Gnome isn't customizable are KDE trolls. I wonder why that is.

Comment

Gnome, unlike, windows or osx is very customizable. KDE is just a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            Gnome, unlike, windows or osx is very customizable. KDE is just a bit more.
            There's a rather big difference between "not customizable" and "less customizable than KDE".

Comment

There's a rather big difference between "not customizable" and "less customizable than KDE".
              I didn't disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                I didn't disagree.
                Never said you did.

Some other people posting here, on the other hand...

Comment

Working...
                X