No announcement yet.

iPhone/iPod Linux Library Hits Version 1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't say it's a waste of time in general. Any compatibility work increases the value of free software programs. It's a waste of time compared to Apple just using a standard like mass storage, or documenting their own protocol and not messing up the USB connection with DRM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Guess you gotta say "Google fucks HTML with H.264" as well there.
      Technically no- Chrome uses FFmpeg for it's decoder, so it supports H264 & Theora.

Comment

Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
        Technically no- Chrome uses FFmpeg for it's decoder, so it supports H264 & Theora.
        I was thinking of Google's video service YouTube. I agree that its browser is a good citizen.

Comment

Well, I see what the prevailing opinion of Apple is around here, but I just wanted to stop in and say - fantastic work by this team!

I know a lot of Linux users own Apple media player devices and have been frustrated that the newer ones wouldn't work with Rhythmbox, etc. It's been one of the things preventing me from buying a new one for quite some time now. I think I can safely speak for all of us by saying THANK YOU FOR THE HARD WORK!

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            I've always found that the easiest way to get apple junk working under linux (or just working *AT ALL*) is to first crush it into a fine powder, then work to make some money to buy the non-apple equivalent, which is almost universally superior to the apple junk that you started with.
            Apple "junk" works quite well, and Apple sells quite a bit of it because of this.

My guess is you don't like it because you find it to be more expensive than the junk you normally buy, they don't let you easily use it for whatever purpose you feel you want to ("I totally need a web server on my phone"), and since you can't appropriate every bit of code for whatever purpose you choose, they suck.

Truth is, lots of hardware running Linux is junk. Lots of Linux drivers are junk. Lots of the Linux desktop is junk. And lots of Linux proponents are fools who pop off on message boards spouting things they have no idea about.

I wonder when the Linux community will realize that its asshat comments like this do nothing to help open source or Linux, and actually hurt it.

Comment

Working...
            X