GNOME Shell 2.29 Brings A Lot Of Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Imagine if every application decided to use its own OK/CANCEL or CANCEL/OK order, its own menu layout (where do you find settings, is it under the file, preferences or tools menu?) and used different background/foreground colors. Total madness.

There are many ways to differentiate applications without making the user's desktop look like a circus.
    Exactly and I'm sick and tired of that circus... This is really not about usability if most of my apps use OK/Cancel scheme and then I have to start one of the gtk+ apps the Cancel/OK scheme just gets in my way, confuses and annoys me.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
      None of which are actually Gnome apps. You could just as well install QTcurve and call them KDE office if you wanted to.
      And then you'd complain that they don't integrate well with KDE. They're GNOME apps, because they integrate well with GNOME. If you don't agree with me, then lets call them foobar apps. I like to use foobar apps.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
        GNOME has GNOME Office, consisting of Abiword, Gnumeric, Inkscape, GIMP, and optionally Planner, GNU Cash and Dia. Three of those applications are programs that I need, (Inkscape, GIMP and Dia) and which do not have an OpenOffice equivalent. But I prefer Writer and Calc over Abiword or Gnumeric.
        If apps use GTK+ it's not GNOME app. Nero Linux use GTK+ (although, interface is well, Nero interface,not Clearlooks with Tango icons or something),but it's not GNOME application. Firefox uses XUL, Filezilla wxWidgets, but overall they better integrate in GNOME environment, than in KDE. Technically speaking we could say they are GNOME apps.

Abiword,Inkscape != GNOME
        Other apps you mention is part of GNOME.

Kudos to KDE team because of Koffice.

Originally posted by leidola View Post
        Btw. What makes an app a gnome app?
        That is the part of GNOME project. Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by fanATic View Post
          If apps use GTK+ it's not GNOME app. Nero Linux use GTK+ (although, interface is well, Nero interface,not Clearlooks with Tango icons or something),but it's not GNOME application. Firefox uses XUL, Filezilla wxWidgets, but overall they better integrate in GNOME environment, than in KDE. Technically speaking we could say they are GNOME apps.

Abiword,Inkscape != GNOME
          Other apps you mention is part of GNOME.
          Oh, GIMP is an official GNOME project?

All GNOME Office apps are GNOME apps. They integrate well with GNOME. They are part of GNOME Office. They are often used on GNOME. They use things like Gtk, Gobject, Gvfs, Glade, GNOME Canvas, GNOME Print... get the picture?

Kudos to KDE team because of Koffice.
          Yeah, thanks for making that piece of crap.
          That is the part of GNOME project. Simple as that.
          What are Windows applications, then?

Comment

And then you'd complain that they don't integrate well with KDE. They're GNOME apps, because they integrate well with GNOME. If you don't agree with me, then lets call them foobar apps. I like to use foobar apps.
            Or XFce apps. Or Fluxbox apps.

And call VLC a KDE app just cause it's written in QT. And Opera.

Gtk apps could be added to any gtk based windowmanger, yet they're always called gnome apps to close the gap between gnome and kde. That's hysterical because they always claim they have no intention of competing with KDE - until they're actually able to do so. Then they quickly draw comparisons.

fanATic,

Add to that list The GIMP and Dia. They aren't gnome apps either.

Comment

Or XFce apps. Or Fluxbox apps.

And call VLC a KDE app just cause it's written in QT. And Opera.

Gtk apps could be added to any gtk based windowmanger, yet they're always called gnome apps to close the gap between gnome and kde. That's hysterical because they always claim they have no intention of competing with KDE - until they're actually able to do so. Then they quickly draw comparisons.
              Who is they?

Comment

A little search

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                Someone probably forget to mention there are also usability tests in KDE.
                A quick google search pointed me to this. That was all I could find in terms of actual studies and that was only in german(lets say I'm a bit rusty). Somehow I don't feel much use has been made of that. As for KDE itself I found this which seemed vague. I would assume that there would be pretty strict guidelines but it seems as though the developer must perform his own usability tests. That seems like too much, IMHO. BTW, I am not not talking about http://developer.kde.org/documentati...ics/index.html but how good those usable those guidelines are.

Comment

Oh, GIMP is an official GNOME project?

All GNOME Office apps are GNOME apps. They integrate well with GNOME. They are part of GNOME Office. They are often used on GNOME. They use things like Gtk, Gobject, Gvfs, Glade, GNOME Canvas, GNOME Print... get the picture?
                  Gtk stands for Gimp took kit and has absolutely nothing to do with gnome. AbiWord and Dia don't use any of those libraries you mentioned. Gnumeric only uses gnomeprint, and I don't know if it still uses that. I'll give you GNU Cash. That's 1/4.

Yeah, thanks for making that piece of crap.
                  Actually for years KOffice was considered the best office suite availble for Linux. If you had been actually using all 3 you would have known that.

What are Windows applications, then?
                  Windows is a platform. Linux is a platform. KDE and GNOME are desktop environments. You would compare kde/gnome to a native windows app like Internet Explorer or Windows Media Player, not something like say Media Monkey which is written for the Windows platform but isn't a native Windows app. Audacious is written for the Linux platform but isn't a part of kde or gnome.

Who is they?
                  They are the head-in-the-sand gnome fanatics, like yourself.

Comment

They are the head-in-the-sand gnome fanatics, like yourself.
                    Says the militant kde fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                      Says the militant kde fanboy.
                      But I use Gnome.

Comment

Working...
                      X