No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell 2.29 Brings A Lot Of Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find the direction GNOME is moving interesting. I would definitely find use for it. GNOME was never about "new". The usability focus of the project was always the selling point for me, and I am happy to see them pushing it to another level. And even if there are obvious shortcomings in current implementation, it is far from finished.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
      I wish Ubuntu would drop that crap.
      +1. If KDE would had a predictable release schedule, Shuttleworth would had choose KDE instead of Gnome.

Comment

and if nokia had gpl'd the qt toolkit just a couple years sooner, red hat would have chosen kde. and so would almost every project after that

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          What's new in Gnome shell compared to KDE plasma and other things?
          It's usable.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
            +1. If KDE would had a predictable release schedule, Shuttleworth would had choose KDE instead of Gnome.
            Yeah, but lack of innovation is what enables Gnome to have a predictable release schedule. It doesn't require a whole lot of testing because it rarely added anything big - and they never added 2 significant things in one release.

Guess you can't have it both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
              It's usable.
              Lol - ouch!

I am not too sure where GnomeShell is going though, I think I would struggle without a task manager. (and removing icons from the desktop, if they do that, I would also consider a stupid move.)

Saying that, the KDE configure everything approach is simply too much - way too complicated and confusing.

Comment

I know all you people love re-arranging the buttons, going through dozens and dozens of configuration options flipping switches and mucking around with icon shapes. Finding new and experimental ways to make your UI suck more is entertaining and all that, but the are real reasons why Gnome is the default for Ubuntu/Redhat/Novell Desktop and most everybody out there.

There is also good reasons why Ubuntu is going to be the most popular and most friendly desktop out there and it uses Gnome and it is not ever going to switch to KDE in the forseable future.

And there is a reason why Redhat defaulted to using Gnome after years and years of trying to integrate KDE and Gnome and let users choose.

Until some of you KDE fans figure out why this happened and the method behind's Gnome's madness then it's frankly impossible to have any sort of discussion on this subject.

I mean seriously. This Gnome vs KDE thing has been going on since 1999. OVER 10 F-ING YEARS. I've only been using Linux barely longer then that and I've used it all.

KDE has had it's chance to displace Gnome and so far it's _NOT_GOOD_ENOUGH_. It was around _first_. Gnome displaced KDE... KDE is not some young or experimental challenger trying to usurp the big corporate Gnome Linux-stifling monster. _It_is_just_a_desktop_environment_.

So unless there is any change in the level of discourse I would kindly ask people to STFU about how much KDE ROXXS every time there is a article mentioning Gnome or anything related to Gnome. If there is a article on KDE then be my guest. I don't care.

This fanboy thing is just stupid.

Yes there is KDE. We know it exists. We know you like it. We know you don't like Gnome. We don't care.

Comment

Oh, btw. That above message was only for some of you.

I like debating things, but it's difficult if all people do is spout nonsense.

But it's nice to talk to people that want to have a civil discussion!

-----------------------------------

Yeah, but lack of innovation is what enables Gnome to have a predictable release schedule. It doesn't require a whole lot of testing because it rarely added anything big - and they never added 2 significant things in one release.
                  Gnome does pretty good. Every release is a step forward in progress. You don't need to rewrite software from scratch or have abrupt changes to introduce new things.

Gnome has now accelerated vector scaling graphics, uPNP support, Gstreamer multimedia framework, faster font rendering, optimized X11 network performance, network transparent audio system, modern and vastly improve VFS layer, Webkit integration, Vala programming language, automatic hardware detection and notification systems, 3G modem support, advanced VPN support, centralized ways to manage themes, introduced online services frameworks and enhanced 'social networking', better support for integration between multiple desktop environments. etc etc etc.

It's a whole raft of features and performance optimizations introduced.

If you compare the Gnome 2.0 release to 2.28 you'd see a massive amount of changes and huge improvements in graphics, multimedia, development tools, language support, and a whole bunch of other things.

They try to get stuff working prior to introducing it into the desktop and they do it so that it unobtrusive to the end user.

Occasionally things go wrong and they introduce problems, people get pissed off, and a lot of new features take a while to mature before people start using them and taking them for granted, but it's really possible to get more work done by gradually introducing features then it is to just cut all backwards compatibility and rewrite a whole bunch of stuff.

If you just look at the desktop screenshots from release to release you would not see much differences, but really there is a lot that is going on that is not really apparent unless you get into really using it as a tool regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                    Lol - ouch!

I am not too sure where GnomeShell is going though, I think I would struggle without a task manager. (and removing icons from the desktop, if they do that, I would also consider a stupid move.)

Saying that, the KDE configure everything approach is simply too much - way too complicated and confusing.

oh yeah, clicking on the 'appearance' icon in system-settings is so confusing.

Dealing with gconf-editor is so much easier and 'usable'.

KDE still let you choose your WM freely. Good luck with upcoming gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                      I know all you people love re-arranging the buttons, going through dozens and dozens of configuration options flipping switches and mucking around with icon shapes. Finding new and experimental ways to make your UI suck more is entertaining and all that, but the are real reasons why Gnome is the default for Ubuntu/Redhat/Novell Desktop and most everybody out there.

There is also good reasons why Ubuntu is going to be the most popular and most friendly desktop out there and it uses Gnome and it is not ever going to switch to KDE in the forseable future.

And there is a reason why Redhat defaulted to using Gnome after years and years of trying to integrate KDE and Gnome and let users choose.

Until some of you KDE fans figure out why this happened and the method behind's Gnome's madness then it's frankly impossible to have any sort of discussion on this subject.

I mean seriously. This Gnome vs KDE thing has been going on since 1999. OVER 10 F-ING YEARS. I've only been using Linux barely longer then that and I've used it all.

KDE has had it's chance to displace Gnome and so far it's _NOT_GOOD_ENOUGH_. It was around _first_. Gnome displaced KDE... KDE is not some young or experimental challenger trying to usurp the big corporate Gnome Linux-stifling monster. _It_is_just_a_desktop_environment_.

So unless there is any change in the level of discourse I would kindly ask people to STFU about how much KDE ROXXS every time there is a article mentioning Gnome or anything related to Gnome. If there is a article on KDE then be my guest. I don't care.

This fanboy thing is just stupid.

Yes there is KDE. We know it exists. We know you like it. We know you don't like Gnome. We don't care.
                      yeah, except that you just posted a big pile of bullshit.
                      Redhat always was a KDE hating gnome-house. From the start. It did not matter what KDE did - or how much gnome sucked.

Novell has the Ximian gang onboard. Gnomefanboys who are well known for their open KDE hatred.
                      SUSE was VERY successfull being KDE based.
                      Novell came and the Ximian-gangsters tried everything to kill off KDE. Well done, assholes!

And ubuntu? If you really want 'easy' - compiz+gnome is NOT the way to go. But hey, there is a reason why ubuntu patches the crap out of gnome.

Comment

Working...
                      X