• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matobinder
    replied
    Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
    Problem solved!

It was this bug:
    Binary package hint: hedgewars This is reproducible. I just start a local single player game, when I try to exit the game does not exit. The cpu usage is 100%, top processes are hedgewars and hwengine. Killing hwengine will exit the game. ProblemType: Bug Architecture: amd64 Date: Sun Oct 18 19:37:29 2009 DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.10 NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx Package: hedgewars 0.9.11-5 ProcEnviron: LANGUAGE=pt_PT.UTF-8 PATH=(custom, user) LANG=pt_PT.UTF-8 SHELL=/bin/bash ProcVersionSig...

It's an SDL audio issue, and virtually all linux OpenGL games are SDL-based.

So the solution was to remove libsdl1.2debian-alsa and install libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio.
    Go figure right?

Great to hear this is fixed. And basically a great bit THANK YOU for posting the details and solution of the problem. This just helped me out.

Leave a comment:

• unimatrix
    replied
    Solution

Problem solved!

It was this bug:
    Binary package hint: hedgewars This is reproducible. I just start a local single player game, when I try to exit the game does not exit. The cpu usage is 100%, top processes are hedgewars and hwengine. Killing hwengine will exit the game. ProblemType: Bug Architecture: amd64 Date: Sun Oct 18 19:37:29 2009 DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.10 NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx Package: hedgewars 0.9.11-5 ProcEnviron: LANGUAGE=pt_PT.UTF-8 PATH=(custom, user) LANG=pt_PT.UTF-8 SHELL=/bin/bash ProcVersionSig...

It's an SDL audio issue, and virtually all linux OpenGL games are SDL-based.

So the solution was to remove libsdl1.2debian-alsa and install libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio.
    Go figure right?

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
    Best thing to do is to rip pulseaudio out of the system entirely. Unfortunately you're using Ubuntu so that's not an option; it infects everything right down to gdm.
    Thankfully Kubuntu doesn't use it. There's some pulseaudio package installed, but It's not running.

Leave a comment:

• kayosiii
    replied
    Like the others I would tend to suspect pulse-audio as the culprit. I would try removing it from the system temporarily. and see if that aleviates the problem.

The following forum thread discusses how to remove pulse audio from jaunty.
    Pulseaudio has caused me endless headaches, and I wish to downgrade to esound and alsa. I tried removing the pulseaudio package with synaptic, but it informed me that uninstalling it, would also uninstall ubuntu-desktop, which is something I definitely don't want. Is there any way to remove pulseaudio and revert back to good old stable ALSA?

good luck.

Otherwise a few other things to try -
    1) check the seating of the card, have a look at the contacts I had an old soundcard (audiowerks2) that was very sensitive to this as it got older.
    2) talk to the alsa developers about the specifics of your soundcard.

Leave a comment:

• Ant P.
    replied
    Best thing to do is to rip pulseaudio out of the system entirely. Unfortunately you're using Ubuntu so that's not an option; it infects everything right down to gdm.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Well, try without pulseaudio and let the game use ALSA directly. Also try ALSA's OSS support just to check.

Leave a comment:

• unimatrix
    replied
    Originally posted by kayosiii View Post
    What type of soundcard do you have there... If the application is having difficulty getting control of the soundcard it might manifest in the behaviour you are seeing. Try running the applications with sound dissabled.
    Oh my... You're right.
    I just took the sound card out of my computer, and the problem went away.

Well this sucks, because I paid a lot for it.
    It's an Echo Gina 3G, using the driver module snd_echo3g with alsa & pulseaudio (strangely pulseaudio itself seems to work fine all the time).
    I actually had to use the Medibuntu repository to install the alsa-firmware package to make it work.

So what are my options now?
    Last edited by unimatrix; 28 October 2009, 03:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kayosiii
    replied
    What type of soundcard do you have there... If the application is having difficulty getting control of the soundcard it might manifest in the behaviour you are seeing. Try running the applications with sound dissabled.

Leave a comment:

• unimatrix
    replied
    As I've said. I've switched my graphic card FROM nVidia TO ATI and the problem did not go away.
    Last edited by unimatrix; 27 October 2009, 10:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Maybe it's the strangest nvidia problem? Did you post a bug report somewhere?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X