Pop!_OS' COSMIC Desktop Finishing Up Work On App Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by user1 View Post

I think if Cosmic won't have its own io library, then gio would be better. KDE suffers from the notorious freezing under heavy io, which AFAIK is an issue with kio. There is no such issue with gio.
    GVFS is only necessary for mounting and accessing remote locations and devices. There is no use case for performing file I/O with gio in Rust, nor is there a need for COSMIC to have its own I/O library. That would be redundant. There already exists native async runtimes like tokio, and the standard library already has good support for file system operations.

Given that all file I/O on Linux is synchronous, the only way to make file system operations async is to spawn their code onto a background thread with `tokio::task::spawn_blocking()`, which returns a future for awaiting the return value of the thread.

There is also no need to worry about application freezes because the libcosmic API spawns at least one background thread for handling async tasks away from the main thread. You can choose between a single-threaded or multi-threaded executor, and the tokio runtime will automatically manage a pool a blocking threads in addition to that.
    Last edited by mmstick; 12 May 2024, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Man I love what cosmic do, like, I wish that gnome was like them

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

Iced is to libcosmic what GDK is to GTK. It provides a very lean runtime with rendering primitives that you can use to build your own theme system and widget library. It doesn't assume anything about the platform you are building for, so you may have to do a lot of boilerplate yourself. If you expect to have lower level details automatically implemented, and high level abstractions to work with, look to libcosmic.
        I know, I wasn't trying to look for resources to develop an application myself. I was just looking how much effort you had to put to build libcosmic itself and how much that impacted in the final product. My conclusion still stand: if you guys had a more complete foundation, you would be ahead of gnome already IMO. That's amazing. I can only imagine how hard it's being for the team, but things are starting to fall into place and naturally it will start to get easier and easier to fulfill system76 vision. We, users, really appreciate all the work you've been putting into the whole stack.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademasterz View Post
          Man I love what cosmic do, like, I wish that gnome was like them
          If Cosmic is obviously better than Gnome, no need to wish Gnome is more like Cosmic, just stay or switch to your fav.

Comment

Working...
          X