Dillo 3.1 Lightweight Web Browser Released After Nine Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
    So... out of Dillo, Netsurf and Ladybird, which one is actually usable for the "modern" web?
    ladybird. but it crashes a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
      So... out of Dillo, Netsurf and Ladybird, which one is actually usable for the "modern" web?
      None?

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
        Also with Dillo most texts on pages use the whole monitor by default, this modern web design really annoys me.
        Limiting the text width is not new at all and increases readability. It was done on paper for a long time before monitors even existed.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post
          Limiting the text width is not new at all and increases readability.
          I clearly remember a time (late 90s to early 2000s) when the majority of web pages used the whole screen.
          It was done on paper for a long time before monitors even existed.
          I don't know any print media that does this (apart from a small space on all sides).

We are talking about modern web pages that use 10% of your screen to present their actual content and leave everything else empty or bombard it with useless shit. I can't see how this improves readability?
          Just open phoronix with a clean browser profile, out of 3312640‬ pixels 1293280 are used for the article, so 2/3 is used for ads or empty. As soon as you block ads and improve the layout the page becomes readable, before it was a shit fest. To call this "increased readability" is another plain of denial.

Edit: woha, long time since I've seen phoronix without an ad-blocker, that's really sad.
          Last edited by Anux; 08 May 2024, 05:25 AM.

Comment

I clearly remember a time (late 90s to early 2000s) when the majority of web pages used the whole screen.

I don't know any print media that does this (apart from a small space on all sides).

We are talking about modern web pages that use 10% of your screen to present their actual content and leave everything else empty or bombard it with useless shit. I can't see how this improves readability?
            Just open phoronix with a clean browser profile, out of 3312640‬ pixels 1293280 are used for the article, so 2/3 is used for ads or empty. As soon as you block ads and improve the layout the page becomes readable, before it was a shit fest. To call this "increased readability" is another plain of denial.

Edit: woha, long time since I've seen phoronix without an ad-blocker, that's really sad.
            I still use stylus to modify websites to take the entire width, it's really annyoying, but not ever site has an extension to unfuck them

Comment

I prefer the books width text approach, but completely empathise with the 'wasted' real widescreen especially estate.

I remember a plugin for Firefox way back in the naughties that let you customise the text layout in a browser tab. There's a built-in reader for a long time, but I think this was plugin was lighter with more func.

I really need a VESA mount swivel so I can enjoy reading on screens again.
              Hi

Comment

I could have phrased it better, but I meant specifically in relation to all media, not just electronic. You are right that early websites often did not limit width.

Pretty much everything, actually. Most books either have a relatively (compared to a typical monitor, for example, or even the kind of paper you write letters on) small paper size, are set in a pretty huge font (rare except for children's books), or use a multi-column layout in some form. Magazines and newspapers often use a multi-column layout too, here the columns are often even a bit on the narrow side. And none of the above uses landscape orientation (some posters do, but there the text doesn't run across the entire width either).

Yeah, ads are not what increases usability. An ad-blocker is (sadly) pretty much required by now on most websites. I'm talking about the (usually white or grey) stripes on the sides. Or just place 2 windows with text side-by-side when you need both at the same time, since the screen is wide enough for that.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post
                  Most books either have a relatively (compared to a typical monitor, for example, or even the kind of paper you write letters on) small paper size, are set in a pretty huge font (rare except for children's books), or use a multi-column layout in some form.
                  Yes, we were talking about different things. I would be fine if web pages were like print media, a small free space on all sides and the rest is for content.

Magazines and newspapers often use a multi-column layout too, here the columns are often even a bit on the narrow side. And none of the above uses landscape orientation (some posters do, but there the text doesn't run across the entire width either).
                  You could do multi-column with HTML and CSS and it would also be fine by me. It could also automatically switch to single-col if the space is not sufficient (smartphone).

I'm talking about the (usually white or grey) stripes on the sides. Or just place 2 windows with text side-by-side when you need both at the same time, since the screen is wide enough for that.
                  The sad thing with most web pages, you put the browser on one half of the screen and it becomes even worse, still has big empty spaces left and right and hardly any content in the middle. Phoronix does a bit better here and on full (small) screens you can zoom to use the whole screen. But still a bad practice to have the user adjust the page when it could do it automatically if done right.

Comment

Working...
                  X