No announcement yet.

GNOME Mutter Lands NVIDIA Hybrid GPU Copy Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTEYeah =treba;n1458027]The Milestone is 46, so this will ship in 46.1 in a couple of days [/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it will be even BETTERER by Gnome 47 !

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

No, I don't even have an APU. These are two discreet graphics cards, one AMD and one Nvidia. I've kept my old AMD GPU because it better deals with Wayland, which in turn is better for multi-monitor, and it's got a DVI-connector which I'm making use of. I often find that features like Prime offloading, which is intended for hybrid laptops, also works in my case although it's not officially supported use case. Hence why I'm wondering if this would be beneficial too.
      Oh.. I see there are different use cases for this feature. Still I prefer basic setups. Added complexity usually doesn't worth the benefit I get at the cost of bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
        Wonder if this also helps on my desktop. It has an R9 Fury and an RTX2070S. My displays are hooked into the former most of the time. One of them has to be because it's old and uses DVI which the RTX2070S doesn't have.
        These changes are only relevant for the case where a display is hooked up to the Nvidia GPU.

Even so, it's intended for the case where the other GPU is integrated. If it's discrete as well, performance won't be as good. More work is required for that case.​

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Is this the equivalent of SDMA copies on AMD cards?
        More like the opposite. It's about drawing a textured quad with the nvidia driver, instead of using glBlitFramebuffer (which would allow the GL driver to utilize something like SDMA), because the latter doesn't work in this case with nvidia (because it doesn't fully support the linear modifier, for questionable reasons).​

Originally posted by treba View Post
        The Milestone is 46, so this will ship in 46.1 in a couple of days
        Indeed. Would be nice if Michael could do quick fact-checks for things like this instead of spreading misinformation.

Comment

Working...
        X