KDE's KWin Merges Wayland Explicit Sync Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mxan View Post
    Great, now imagine if the Wayland folks listened to Nvidia 10 years and supported superior EGLStreams instead of sticking to shitty GBM. Wayland could’ve taken way less than 16 years to be adopted. Lol
    Nvidia tried for years to get eglstreams working, but they never had a solution for accelerated XWayland. So in the end they gave up and used gbm.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

They did. Erik Kurzinger (nvidia employee) put many proposals for making explicit sync, and is author of explicit sync support for Xwayland, Present, DRI3 that was recently merged. Thing is things took time as it depended on other explicit sync being merged and that merge depended on discussions about how polling certain things will work..
      I was just about to mention this. Not only did Erik write the explicit sync protocol for X11 and did the implementation in Xorg, but simply adding explicit sync to Wayland or X11 wasn't going to fix this issue. Wayland actually did have some form of explicit sync protocol for years but I'm pretty sure it couldn't be used or only had limited use because everything else was implicit sync. The changes to bring explicit sync to Linux were done by a bunch of people in order to set it up the kernel, Mesa, X11, XWayland, and Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Once again, FOSS community bends over for ngreedia…
        What does that even mean? Do you recommend to ship the drivers out before Nvidia is ready, in a completely broken way? Why would anyone with Nvidia hardware use Linux, if they did that?

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
          It feels like nothingburger for FOSS users. The only benefit is nvidia users will stop shart everytime wayland is mentioned.
          Most nvidia users were not even aware that this was an issue until recently. Don't expect them to suddenly see the errors of their ways.

Because they paid to make a trillion dollar company they now feel entitled for free software paid by other-than-nvidia and volunteer developers to bend over backwards for they company they bought a product from. Anything else and they k=might need to reconsider the wisdom of their spending and we cant have that.

It will be funny if even after this nvidia still cant get their act together.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

Xavier explicitly said that open source drivers users will still probably get minor performance improvments. Without special implicit hacks.
            yes, marginal improvements for most other users. These are very welcome and a normal process of software development. After this the developers will focus on something else that can now be improved, maybe because of this feature or because of some other feature they have developed.

But this is different from the earth shattering improvements nvidia users are expecting.

Comment

piotr and I already responded to the first part of your post so check the last post for that.​

or are they so used to the community bending over that they simply sat down and waited for it?
              but as for this, again, explicit sync was something that Linux should transitioned to years ago. This isn't something that just benefits Nvidia. Nvidia has done a lot wrong when it comes to Linux support but this one of the areas where you can just as easily ask "Why didn't the rest of the FOSS community wait so long to do this?"

That being said, be happy that it happened. Even if you don't have an Nvidia card, you're going to have a better experience because of this, and by removing a lot of the issues with running Linux on Nvidia, it's also going to remove a barrier of entry for people to try Linux out and that's going to benefit you, too.

Comment

Once again, FOSS community bends over for ngreedia…
                Explicit sync is important and needed regardless of any Nvidia issues. So you are misinformed.

Read this: https://www.collabora.com/news-and-b...-gap-on-linux/

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                  But this is different from the earth shattering improvements nvidia users are expecting.
                  For Nvidia users they will absolutely be getting earth shattering improvements, just not necessarily in performance. As someone who was using an Nvidia card up until about a month ago, I'd get frequent rendering issues and in the case of XWayland applications, flickering issues. It actually wasn't that bad for awhile but got worse recently because Nvidia made an optimization in their driver that wound up making the flickering issue much worse. Steam used to show garbled and quickly flickering graphics in its Store page and parts of the Davinci Resolve interface would flicker black every time I moved the mouse.

With explicit sync, those should all be fixed. I'm sure there will still be other issues to fix after that but it should still be a huge step towards parity with other drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

For Nvidia users they will absolutely be getting earth shattering improvements, just not necessarily in performance. As someone who was using an Nvidia card up until about a month ago, I'd get frequent rendering issues and in the case of XWayland applications, flickering issues. It actually wasn't that bad for awhile but got worse recently because Nvidia made an optimization in their driver that wound up making the flickering issue much worse. Steam used to show garbled and quickly flickering graphics in its Store page and parts of the Davinci Resolve interface would flicker black every time I moved the mouse.

With explicit sync, those should all be fixed. I'm sure there will still be other issues to fix after that but it should still be a huge step towards parity with other drivers.
                    Dont even try to start steam with plasma wayland it`s just grabled mess on ubuntu atlast with nvidia cards and thats with the new 550.67 driver x11 is the way to go.

PS. it took me a week to relise plasma wayland was running on the llvm cpu renderer and that you have to install libegl*wayland1
                    Last edited by erniv2; 10 April 2024, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by erniv2 View Post
                      PS. it took me a week to relise plasma wayland was running on the llvm cpu renderer and that you have to install libegl*wayland1
                      I had the same issue awhile back when I first switched to Wayland on Gnome. I had no idea that I needed libegl-wayland1 until I saw someone mention it on Reddit. Steam was fine on Nvidia for awhile. It was only in the past few months that there was insane amount of graphical corruption. At first it was just very blinky and then it started to look exactly like a magic eye picture.

Now that I've switched to Arc, things have been pretty nice.

Comment

Working...
                      X