KDE Introduces New Marknote App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by keit99 View Post
    (One inactive called basket, was very featurerich, but has never been fulyl working since KF5. Also is written in widgets and would need a complete overhaul)
    Please no. I use BasKet a lot and find Kirigami to be uncanny valley ugly and don't want to have to put yet another thing on my "find a replacement or write one using PyQt's QWidget bindings" list.

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post

KDE e.V. posts annual reports on activities of the KDE community, including a section on the budget
      Thanks, but it's a summary of expenses. I would rather like to see what parts of developing KDE expenses on Personnel/Akademy/Sprints of total 292,312.31 euros went into. I think, it shouldn't be difficult to report: we paid this person this and that for working on this and that.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post

Thanks, but it's a summary of expenses. I would rather like to see what parts of developing KDE expenses on Personnel/Akademy/Sprints of total 292,312.31 euros went into. I think, it shouldn't be difficult to report: we paid this person this and that for working on this and that.
        this level of openness is but a dream and why I stopped donating to orgs full stop. I'm fine with donating to independent projects or developers. But I want to know what my money is actually being spent on.

Comment

Originally posted by murraytony View Post

This is not developed by any KDE paid developers, it took me 3 seconds to find that out. https://invent.kde.org/office/markno...ref_type=heads
          Yeah but this person expenses might be covered from our donations if he wants to appear on Akademy and talk about his innovative YetAntoherNoteTakingApp. I would rather not spend this money at all or spend it on bounties on fixing bugs in core KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by rob-tech View Post
            Like the previous poster said, why would I use this when Google Keep allows me to sync all my notes and access them anywhere? The effort is better spent elsewhere.
            If not for syncing then I guess for privacy. Google Keep sends your notes to the internet also for your surveillance.

Comment

Originally posted by DumbFsck View Post

If I understood correctly from here it saves everything as Markdown files.
              If it renders this Markdown as Kate or Okular does, and I believe it does due to a shared rendering component, then it must look horrible. The time spent on developing Marknote would be better spent in improving rendering engine for Markdown files in KDE.

Comment

I would rather like to see what parts of developing KDE expenses on Personnel/Akademy/Sprints of total 292,312.31 euros went into.
                Sprints are always followed by a report on its activities. Expenses around such an activity are usually related to assisting participants on travel and accommodation costs.

For a major event such as Akademy there are additional expenses such as event insurance, possibly paying for a venue, etc.

Both types of meetings are hugely productive, both in terms of concrete output as well as community cohesion.
                Great for identifying and tackling shared hurdles, aligning priorities across products, teaching and learning, even attracting new contributors.

These types of expenses are very well spent money and are therefore even used by communities who do not yet have reached the financial capability to hire contractors and/or employees.

I think, it shouldn't be difficult to report: we paid this person this and that for working on this and that.
                I believe the web site also has a section on who those people are and which areas they work on.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                  I wonder how many bug reports this will contribute to the 24+ thousand currently open?
                  Point being? Gnome is tracking 33k+ open issues. Umbrella bugtrackers with hundreds of projects underneath them will have lots of reports. What's next? "Forests have too many branches on the ground?" In other news, grass is green, the sky is blue, and water is wet.

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                  How exactly is this "note taking application" different than opening up kate, or pluma, or any other text editor and typing your notes in that?

You know, the way computer users have been doing for decades.
                  If you looked for ~10 seconds you'd see it's a simple distraction-free WYSIWYG md-based rich-text editor. It's not for coding, it's for writing - similar to Gnomes Apostrophe or MarkTest on MacOS. Why not trying reading the article?

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                    Sprints are always followed by a report on its activities. Expenses around such an activity are usually related to assisting participants on travel and accommodation costs.

For a major event such as Akademy there are additional expenses such as event insurance, possibly paying for a venue, etc.

Both types of meetings are hugely productive, both in terms of concrete output as well as community cohesion.
                    Great for identifying and tackling shared hurdles, aligning priorities across products, teaching and learning, even attracting new contributors.

These types of expenses are very well spent money and are therefore even used by communities who do not yet have reached the financial capability to hire contractors and/or employees.

I believe the web site also has a section on who those people are and which areas they work on.
                    There is even a list of contractors there. Nice.

Comment

Yeah but this person expenses might be covered from our donations if he wants to appear on Akademy and talk about his innovative YetAntoherNoteTakingApp. I would rather not spend this money at all or spend it on bounties on fixing bugs in core KDE.
                      I am sure it will be okay if you don't donate and ... comment.

Comment

Working...
                      X