No announcement yet.

KDE Introduces New Marknote App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit.

Ghostwriter is dead and as far as I can tell there are no other markdown editors that aren't webtech.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      Ghostwriter is dead and as far as I can tell there are no other markdown editors that aren't webtech.
      What about ReText

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post

What about ReText
        ReText was horrible for me, Theming issues (on windows and cross platform is important for me), poor spellcheck, Extremely slow when using the web engine (which is needed to preview the more advanced features).

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
          If there was an Android port along with synchronization support (either some cloud-backed or through own self-hosted npm server), otherwise it is doomed to the niche.
          Nowadays people prefer to use Google Keep or OneNote.
          Markor is a pretty good text editor for android and you can use syncing services like syncthing or google drive to synchronize your notes

Comment

I wonder how many bug reports this will contribute to the 24+ thousand currently open?

How exactly is this "note taking application" different than opening up kate, or pluma, or any other text editor and typing your notes in that?

You know, the way computer users have been doing for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post
              I’m actually confused, "Marknote" sounds like it were Markdown but it doesn’t seems to be Markdown.
              If I understood correctly from here it saves everything as Markdown files.

Comment

I'm currently using QOwnNotes for my note taking, and it works very well. Uses markdown files and has some nextcloud integration (but also works just using a local directory).

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit.

Yeah. We needed this. I don't get the "Ugh, yet another note taking app" take. Everything is built on Electron. EVERYTHING. I'm using QOwnNotes for now but I hate how it looks and it can't be themed along with my other Qt apps, it has its own themes.

Anyway, I can't seem to find a download for this anywhere. Will it be included in the next KDE Gear collection, and THEN it will hit distro repositories? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                    How exactly is this "note taking application" different than opening up kate, or pluma, or any other text editor and typing your notes in that?
                    I use Vim (Neovim more specifically) as my note taking tool. With the fzf fuzzy finder and all my configuration and keybindings in Vim this is the best way for simple notes in text format. It's in Markdown format, but in the terminal there is only limited ways to show formatted text. When I was using Vim, there was a plugin which was quite useful to edit tables and help with linking between the notes in example: https://github.com/vimwiki/vimwiki

But I can't embed images that are displayed as an image (there are ways to show images in terminal, but no note taking plugin supports it). Drag and drop doesn't work too. Also Sticky Note is pretty cool widget that can display notes on the desktop and are always open for edit and will autosave, without the shenanigans of Vim or a terminal. My point is, there are legit reasons why someone would want to use a dedicated note tool. Sorry I was a bit brambling around...
                    Last edited by byteabit; 30 March 2024, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post

I agree with you, but would be more concerned on what the donations to KDE are spent then. Maybe on a trip of this newly KDE Developer from wherever in the world he lives to KDE Akademy (last year in Greece) where he could exchange thoughts with other KDE Developers of note taking apps.

Nothing inherently wrong with trips but I would not like my donation to go for developing YetAnotherNoteTakingApp. I'm just curious how it's managed.
                      This is not developed by any KDE paid developers, it took me 3 seconds to find that out. https://invent.kde.org/office/markno...ref_type=heads

Comment

Working...
                      X