KDE Continuing To Land More Fixes, Eye More Features For Plasma 6.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

You are correct, as i have stated i have been using Linux based OSes since the 90's and I have built my own distros from scratch.

I am telling you that Linux is a toy, not an OS to be taken seriously, and I am typing this from a system running Manjaro.

Everything about Linux is half-assed, everyone is pulling this way and that way doing their own thing and all the software has the feel if being coded by amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post
      So now it's not about KDE but about Linux as a whole? And Linux is a mere "toy"? Ha, it seems I was right on point after all when I thought you sounded like birdie. Same ****, different *******.
      It's the whole Linux ecosystem that conspires to produce second rate software and a mentality that pointing out problems is somehow trolling and should be ignored.

Think about the legacy of the Linux world:

KDE released with 24+ thousand known bug reports and growing by 150+ a day.

Gnome had a memory leak for 10 years and the developers are more concerned about being disrespected by someone that doesn't submit a patch that uses exactly 8 indentations.

WINE had a major security hole for 13 years.

Curl had one for 2 years.

There are currently 460+ known Linux specific exploits available to anyone that knows how to use Metasploit.

Ubuntu's Snap store keeps getting hit with malware.

But to me the biggest issue is how unreliable the damn OS is because there really isn't such a thing as Linux OS, they are Linux based OSes.

I have Windows software that is over 20 years old, a GUI database written in VB that runs on every version from Win 2k to Win 11.

Contrast this with Linux software that runs on some distros but not others, even when you normalize the install so they are using the same kernel and same library versions.

Example, Black Magic Resolve, the gold standard for video grading and used extensively for producing commercial, big budget movies.

I can install and use the Mac version on a variety of systems, I can install and use the Windows version on every Windows from 7 to 11.

The Linux version? If you are running Ubuntu and NVIDIA, no problem.

NVIDIA with any distro other than Ubuntu? Good luck.

AMD or Intel graphics and any distro at all?

Try not to give yourself a headache banging your skull against the wall trying to get it to run.

Even simpler example, I have mentioned this before, I am working on a custom Linux distro that I was hoping to release by the end of the year.

To promote it i am writing some custom AI software and as a learning experience i decided to code the software in various languages, including C, C++. C#, Rust and Go and it uses a GUI front end.

Right now it's about 5000 of code, relatively small and the initial version was CLI only and cross-platform, meaning it runs on both Windows and every Linux distro I tried it on.

So far, so good.

I then went to work creating a GUI for it using various GUI tool kits, like GTK+, Druid and a few others, depending on what the language supports.

I did the development work on Kubuntu, using Kate or Pluma for coding and compiling everything from the command line.

Tested it thoroughly on Kubuntu, works beautifully.

Since i always run a dual boot, copied the executable to the Windows partition, booted into Win 10, works perfectly. Upgraded to Win 11, still works fine.

Fired up my guinea pig system, installed Fedora, take a guess what happened.

Nothing happened, not a damn thing. Could not get the GUI version working no matter what I did. The CLI version runs fine on Windows and every Linux distro i tried it on.

But the GUI version, that I coded and compiled on Kubuntu and runs perfectly on Windows and every Ubuntu spin that I tried?

It refuses to run on Fedora, OpenSuse, or Manjaro and I have tried to see if it's the DE, Wayland vs X11, folder layout, different library versions, everything i can think of.

The confusing thing is that the Python GUIs run just fine on all distros and Windows versions I try them on, C# should be the most portable but even that refuses to run on certain distros.

And this is the thing that gets me most of all, Linux is supposed to be this developer friendly platform but it's not. Windows and Mac OS are much more feature rich and developer friendly, you code once and the software works.

On Linux you run into these stupid issues where it works on one distro but not others and trying to figure out what the issue is and trying to figure out what the problem is can be such a pain.
      Last edited by sophisticles; 18 March 2024, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Let me ask you something, did you choose the nom de plume "mrg666" because you are devilishly generous?

Mr - Mister
        G - Generous
        666 - Devilish

How many 20 euro donations have you made today?

You know that without generous people like yourself many Linux projects can't survive.

Comment

Let me ask you something, did you choose the nom de plume "mrg666" because you are devilishly generous?

Mr - Mister
          G - Generous
          666 - Devilish

How many 20 euro donations have you made today?

You know that without generous people like yourself many Linux projects can't survive.
          Ronald Reagan tired and worn out after a long day of campaigning said what he thought when he owned this heckler in San Diego a week before the 1980 election...

Comment

KDE released with 24+ thousand known bug reports and growing by 150+ a day.
            This is a weird one to post since we can't see the amount of Windows bug reports posted or being posted.. and even if we could Windows would have millions due to the amount of users so it would still be hard to compare.

There are currently 460+ known Linux specific exploits available to anyone that knows how to use Metasploit.
            ​Microsoft fixed 909CVEs in 2023, 917CVes in 2022, in the past 3 months of 2024 they patched 181. So the question is how many exploits are currently not fixed?

I have Windows software that is over 20 years old, a GUI database written in VB that runs on every version from Win 2k to Win 11.
            Thats great, but that is not the case with a lot of older software.

Example, Black Magic Resolve, the gold standard for video grading and used extensively for producing commercial, big budget movies.
            I can install and use the Mac version on a variety of systems, I can install and use the Windows version on every Windows from 7 to 11.
            The Linux version? If you are running Ubuntu and NVIDIA, no problem.
            NVIDIA with any distro other than Ubuntu? Good luck.
            AMD or Intel graphics and any distro at all?
            Try not to give yourself a headache banging your skull against the wall trying to get it to run.
            Seems to run fine on Arch, not sure how much of the codec support would be missing if any

I said this before but ill repeat myself.. I main Windows 11 for my VR development so don't get the wrong idea about my post, Microsoft being as big as they are have had a few bugs pop up in Windows 11 mainly file explorer issues that lasted well over a year. I have a secondary drive I boot Arch KDE up on it also has its issues for my daily usage like VR support not being the greatest. Gaming is smoother in most games on my 6800xt under linux but Anti Cheat on linux isnt supported 100%. Between the VR and Gaming issues I use Window as my daily. If not for those I wouldn't have a reason not to use linux as my main. Godot Engine Android Studio, Blender, work great on linux and Dolphin in my subjective view outperforms File Explorer, mass file transfer on linux is just in a different league.You stated you use Manjaro in a previous post which honestly is a horrible distro to use when testing if things work, reason being is if you post a bug report on github for any linux software and state manjaro a lot devs will tell you they dont support Manjaro. In my experience its either use Ubuntu, or use pure / almost pure Arch install like EndeavourOS or just use Arch's archinstall for slightly more manual setup.

Just seems like you have a subjective view of Linux and because its your view everyone else should have it. Kind of a simple minded way to look at things if you ask me.
            Last edited by SSJBurger; 19 March 2024, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles

I was going to point out that this was when John Hinckley Jr.​ decided to kill Reagan but I don't want anyone misinterpreting this.

Allow me to be very clear, I am not threatening anyone in any way.

Having said that I do think its great that we have generous 20 Euro donors like mrg666.
              You have already threatened, sopissedtickles. Not that I am scared, but it shows what kind of a freak you are.

Comment

Working...
              X