Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

openSUSE Tumbleweed Begins Rolling Out KDE Plasma 6 Desktop, But No Wayland Default Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woddy View Post

you mention rbrown who is known to be against KDE and is free to be, but he only represents himself, neither SUSE nor openSUSE. GNOME is the only de supported by SUSE is known, but SUSE is not openSUSE. What makes openSUSE an excellent KDE distribution are the Devs who work there and know KDE well and have excellent relationships and collaboration with them.
    Oh god, Richard Brown had me banned from the OpenSUSE reddit group after I called him out for certain things. That man is hell-bent on destroying OpenSUSE. Heck, he once told me that the community mission statement the community once created "isn't a binding contract" to justify the way he and SUSE have screwed up OpenSUSE over the last several years. They turned a distro that updated every 8 months and competed against Fedora into one that has major updates every three years (!) and competes against Debian Stable (and for a while, OpenSUSE "Leap" had older packages than Debian Stable!).

I wish SUSE was not OpenSUSE, but SUSE has really destroyed the distro, may cancel leap, wasted all the time on the "upgrade to SLED" ability no one asked for, are spending all their time on container OSes and immutable crap no one asked for either, etc. According to Brown himself, every time I'd complain about something they'd kill, he'd insist that "there are no devs" who want to do this or that or "there aren't enough devs" to do it. Then I ask how come there are enough devs to produce Tumbleweed but no devs to work on Leap and he gets me banned.

I've been using OpenSUSE full time all day for almost 14 years now, and I can't stand how the distro that once proudly told me that they were independent of SUSE and don't take marching orders from them now consents to use the same kernel and the same almost everything else as SLED or they'll get no more SUSE volunteers to help (!!!). We used to be the distro with the most amazing custom distro building tool that ever existed (SUSE Studio). Now we have nothing (SUSE let it rot, then dropped it) while distros like MX Linux have their own tool on the desktop for this. We were position 4-5 on dlstrowatch for more than a decade; now we're number 10 with no signs of things getting better. That's on top of things like the numbering fiasco (OpenSUSE version 42?!?!?).

I'm always hoping an organized resistance will emerge, those who work on Tumbleweed will flee en masse, and we'll have an OpenOffice/LibreOffice thing where the fork becomes the de facto main product. So far, though, I haven't seen any signs anyone else is fed up with Richard Brown or the various incarnations of SUSE and want to do anything about it. Maybe they have to end up killing off Leap before people get angry enough to revolt.

Comment

Anyway. I did upgrade to KDE6 on tumbleweed. And I use nvidia:

Had 2 problems:
      - Imagemagicks for some reason doesn't want to update (missing package in repo?)
      - was in plasma sesssion updating plasma, things did crash, finished update in TTY, restarted computer....

And everything works. Wayland, X11 - everything works fine. When Wayland expierience before was quite laggy on nvidia, on KDE6 i didn't notice a single issue. Screensharing works, screenshots work etc...

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post
        According to Brown himself, every time I'd complain about something they'd kill, he'd insist that "there are no devs" who want to do this or that or "there aren't enough devs" to do it. Then I ask how come there are enough devs to produce Tumbleweed but no devs to work on Leap and he gets me banned.
        Maintaining a long-term, stable-release model distribution - constantly evaluating upstream changes, applying patches, testing new code against old OS bases - is a large amount of un-fun work.

openSUSE Leap is SLE + community add-ons, existing to make SLE available to, and more applicable to, general public users. Tumbleweed is the upstream of everything - nearly anything can be built off of it, as witnessed by the fact that it serves as the base for enterprise desktops, server OSes, container hosts, community desktop distros, etc. It seems natural that the latter attracts more development interest, even if many users are still lured by the "Debian Stable" definitions of stability promised by distros like Leap.

I haven't seen any signs anyone else is fed up with Richard Brown

Yes, damn him and his...*checks*...development of an immutable/atomic desktop based on Tumbleweed, and his...*checks some more*...next-to-no control over the current direction of Tumbleweed itself, or openSUSE in general.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but the guy you're complaining about literally says "to do <x> we need more developers", and your answer is to talk about "hoping an organized resistance will emerge" and "revolt"?

Comment

Oh boy. I started the update today and walked away for a bit. There was no warning anything special was going to happen. I come back to discover the system LOGGING OUT ON ITS OWN!
          Your update didn't really finish. Your desktop session got killed during the upgrade (doesn't usually happen but I saw this too). Best thing to do would have been to switch to a TTY and run a zypper dup to finish the upgrade.
          ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Firnefex View Post
            It matters for anyone who installs it, whether by switching from Windows, distrohopping or in a VM.
            Why you don't want to talk about defaults, e.g. to help others?
            Why does it matter? You choose Wayland once from the login screen and then it remembers your choice. Again - this is a rolling release with multiple desktops available for installation - defaults such as this do not matter at all. Defaulting to systemd matters, because you can't really run opensuse without it. But defaulting to one display server and offering the other really makes no difference.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
              SUSE regularly go against KDE upstream and fill it with junky downstream patches, yet people still have this meme in their heads that SUSE is "the best" distro for KDE. No, it's really not. KDE devs have regularly pointed out issues with it (Nate Graham and Neal Gompa in particular), and also if you want to know what SUSE employees think of KDE, go read rbrownsuse's account on reddit LOL.

SUSE only support GNOME in their enterprise distro, not KDE. KDE is entirely a community effort on SUSE just like it is on Fedora, Ubuntu, RHEL, etc.
              Ugh, interesting indeed even tho I love OpenSUSE-T-KDE and would also want hope it's for the best, but I coincidentially just saw some old presentation on ALP linux briefly where I noticed one of the devs having quite a subjective praise opinion on "Gnome the best desktop" ... no wonder why ALP is Gnome only, but after learnign that I obviously had no more interest in ALP and closed down the video.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
                Screens turn off after 15 minutes. System goes to sleep after 45 minutes.
                Very sensible settings. I have even shorter timeouts.

Even with my shorter timeouts and no inhibiting program I need to be gone for quite a while before the screens autolock and turn off.

Which game were you playing that you did not have any mouse or keyboard input for 15 minutes?

Comment

Sorry but many problems.

My PC restarts after the update. Is it normal in the update process ?

It restarts with wayland by default.

I select x11 to minimize the problems.

kwallet, kwallet pam, kwallet signon is partilay instaled ( a mix of 5 and 6 version).!

Ctrl-Esc no more launch "process monitor".

Link in a mail does not work when clicking, then no effects.

Kmail icon in the systray does not open kontact.

By default, a floating KDE control panel with a floating cascading menu. It's an actual disaster.

There is no more a GUI with icons, only a cascading menu for kde systemsettings. It's less easy than a one page presenting all the settings.

Many more English terms not translated in French.

With wayland :

kde control bar is weirdly displayed, randomly.

QEMU window of the VM is not in the list of the opened windows when listing with "wmctrl -lx"

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                    Very sensible settings. I have even shorter timeouts.

Even with my shorter timeouts and no inhibiting program I need to be gone for quite a while before the screens autolock and turn off.

Which game were you playing that you did not have any mouse or keyboard input for 15 minutes?
                    It's a platform fighter where I prefer a controller (PS5 in this case). If this is really a generic Wayland problem and it's not something specific to KDE or Tumbleweed + KDE, that would be ridiculous. Power management inhibiting should work while playing games on bluetooth controllers.

Comment

Oh god, Richard Brown had me banned from the OpenSUSE reddit group after I called him out for certain things. That man is hell-bent on destroying OpenSUSE. Heck, he once told me that the community mission statement the community once created "isn't a binding contract" to justify the way he and SUSE have screwed up OpenSUSE over the last several years. They turned a distro that updated every 8 months and competed against Fedora into one that has major updates every three years (!) and competes against Debian Stable (and for a while, OpenSUSE "Leap" had older packages than Debian Stable!).

I wish SUSE was not OpenSUSE, but SUSE has really destroyed the distro, may cancel leap, wasted all the time on the "upgrade to SLED" ability no one asked for, are spending all their time on container OSes and immutable crap no one asked for either, etc. According to Brown himself, every time I'd complain about something they'd kill, he'd insist that "there are no devs" who want to do this or that or "there aren't enough devs" to do it. Then I ask how come there are enough devs to produce Tumbleweed but no devs to work on Leap and he gets me banned.

I've been using OpenSUSE full time all day for almost 14 years now, and I can't stand how the distro that once proudly told me that they were independent of SUSE and don't take marching orders from them now consents to use the same kernel and the same almost everything else as SLED or they'll get no more SUSE volunteers to help (!!!). We used to be the distro with the most amazing custom distro building tool that ever existed (SUSE Studio). Now we have nothing (SUSE let it rot, then dropped it) while distros like MX Linux have their own tool on the desktop for this. We were position 4-5 on dlstrowatch for more than a decade; now we're number 10 with no signs of things getting better. That's on top of things like the numbering fiasco (OpenSUSE version 42?!?!?).

I'm always hoping an organized resistance will emerge, those who work on Tumbleweed will flee en masse, and we'll have an OpenOffice/LibreOffice thing where the fork becomes the de facto main product. So far, though, I haven't seen any signs anyone else is fed up with Richard Brown or the various incarnations of SUSE and want to do anything about it. Maybe they have to end up killing off Leap before people get angry enough to revolt.
                      I repeat, R. Brown only represents himself, don't give him importance. But he's right about one thing, like it or not Leap doesn't have a lot of community contributions so it relies on the work of SUSE this could change if volunteers come forward, but distributions don't sustain themselves.

Comment

Working...
                      X