X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like half a dozen of you took the bait. Come on that one was obvious

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

Probably some low hanging/urgent fixes to push.
      More likely, bugs that took a while to investigate/fix and not worth delaying the release for. Either way, it's been solid since beta, it's all good.
      Last edited by bug77; 06 March 2024, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I have KDE Neon here running, and have to say, it is amazing with Plasma 6.
        Very smooth display on an old i7 8550U integrated GPU. When going from plasma 5.x to 6.x, it felt like having built in a new GPU.
        I really like it. No major issues noticed so far.
        Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

ngraham Thanks a lot for KDE to you and the entire team! I don't care about trolls here, they should get a life

Comment

I too use KDE Neon on at least one device. ( Dell Precision 3540 - i7-8665U - Radeon PRO WX 3100 ) and I agree with the great launch. Upgraded at the earliest convenience and apart from the "Power off/Restart" bug which has since been fixed I have not much to complain about.
            The calculator button on my keyboard doesn't work any more to give you an indication of how picky I need to get to find any fault.
            Great job, ngraham and team !

The only thing I am unsure about (more my lack of knowledge than anything else) is whether KDE / Wayland is utilizing the iGPU or the dGPU…

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
              As i said in the other thread, I have no plans to try this release, at least for a while.

This DE was just released and they already found bugs significant enough to warrant a updated version.

This is what i keep talking about with open source software, why do these projects not completely test their software and eliminate all the bugs before they release it.

It would look much more professional if they waited a week and released their "KDE MegaRelease 6" with no bugs to fix.

As it stands now, I fully expect to see another such article in a week or so about bug fixes.

These open source projects really need to get their QA in order.
              Disregarding the fact that the KDE 6 release has actually gone very, very smoothly (weird packaging issues in Neon notwithstanding), open source projects do not "completely test their software and eliminate all the bugs" because, unlike big corporations with big money, they do not have huge QA teams who get paid during the development cycle to do the testing for them (and usually fail miserably at their jobs, but that's another story); so what they can do, is release the software when it's more or less ready and then rely on their end users to actually use it and report bugs and issues for the final polishing. This is how it's always been done in open source. Perhaps you're new here..?

Also, I'm not sure if you're trolling or not but, as per KDE's officially announced schedule, there will indeed be another such article in exactly one week from now, when 6.0.2 is released.​

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Now you just need to define what the "API" of KDE Plasma is.

Semantic versioning is for libraries, not end-user applications.
              KDE's API is the Qt version they're basing their code on, in this case Qt 6. I know, I know, it's tough to make the mental association between KDE 6 and Qt 6, it's not like they share a common major version number after all, or that this numbering scheme has been used for all major KDE releases (KDE 5 for Qt 5, KDE for Qt 4, and so on).

Also, up until a few years ago semantic versioning used to be the norm for practically everything, not only for libraries. But in any case, it should be obvious to anyone that the KDE team are using semantic versioning for their Plasma & Frameworks releases (while they've dropped it for their "Gear" releases).

EDIT:
              Originally posted by Terr-E View Post

The only thing I am unsure about (more my lack of knowledge than anything else) is whether KDE / Wayland is utilizing the iGPU or the dGPU…

I don't have an iGPU+dGPU system, but you could probably go to System Settings -> About this System -> More Information -> (in the new window that pops up) Graphics -> Window manager, and check what GPU is reported as being used for the compositing renderer, or -> Wayland and check what GPU is reported as being the target device for "wl_output" and the like.​
              Last edited by Nocifer; 06 March 2024, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post
                unlike big corporations with big money, they do not have huge QA teams who get paid during the development cycle to do the testing for them (and usually fail miserably at their jobs, but that's another story);
                Working at a big corporation with (not for, unfortunately) big money, I can attest that we do NOT have a huge QA team, and do test on our users anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post
                  I don't have an iGPU+dGPU system, but you could probably go to System Settings -> About this System -> More Information -> (in the new window that pops up) Graphics -> Window manager, and check what GPU is reported as being used for the compositing renderer, or -> Wayland and check what GPU is reported as being the target device for "wl_output" and the like.​
                  Thanks!
                  Window Manager:
                  Code:
                  Compositing
                  ===========
                  Compositing is active
                  Compositing Type: OpenGL
                  OpenGL vendor string: Intel
                  OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (WHL GT2)
                  ​
                  So Intel…

The Wayland section only seems to mention screens not display adapters.
                  At least that answers the question. Now to figure out how to use the Radeon. (And preferably Vulkan)

Comment

As i said in the other thread, I have no plans to try this release, at least for a while.

This DE was just released and they already found bugs significant enough to warrant a updated version.

This is what i keep talking about with open source software, why do these projects not completely test their software and eliminate all the bugs before they release it.

It would look much more professional if they waited a week and released their "KDE MegaRelease 6" with no bugs to fix.

As it stands now, I fully expect to see another such article in a week or so about bug fixes.

Shut up freeloader.

Comment

Even commercial companies have long stopped releasing bug-free software/games.

Nowadays you must be happy to get a beta quality release, and e.g. triple A games are often released as late alphas: horribly optimized, full of bugs and issues.

But it's all agile!

Comment

Working...
                      X