No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6.0.1 Released With First Batch Of Bug Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would look much more professional if they waited a week and released their "KDE MegaRelease 6" with no bugs to fix.
    Michael please, please fix the ignore list so that posts from people on it are actually hidden.

Comment

Ladies and gentlemen of the Phoronix forum,

I would like to take this opportunity to offer my deepest and most sincere apologies.

It has come to my attention that some within the open source community are offended by my rather wacky and insane ideas that software should not be released until it has been thoroughly tested and verified to be free of bugs that are apparent if anyone spent all of 30 seconds actually using the software.

I have also been informed that in this tough economy my salary demands may be a bit out of touch, and so I am very sorry if I offended anyone by implying that KDE has the money to pay me a fair compensation for the work required to turn it into a professionally run organization.

You will have to forgive me, I only went to a state college where i was taught by radical professors that were also employed as professional programmers in the industry and instilled in me this ridiculous desire to actually test the software I wrote before releasing it for use.

From now on I promise to be a model citizen of the open source community and only heap praise when bugs are found, and support every open source project with gusto.

Because the open source community values freedom, primarily the freedom to only offer positive feedback for everything they do.

So good job KDE team, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the software or your testing methodology and I look forward to many more fixes for bugs that should never have existed in the first place.

Thank you.

Frank.

Comment

Now for the real test I've been waiting to perform:

Code:
        killall kwin_wayland
        session doesn't get killed

*chef's kiss*

Comment

sophisticles you can always create your own DE, obviously free of bugs. If you haven't, these are just your words.

Comment

I have been unable to get 2 of my machines to boot after updating to Plasma 6 (KDE Neon 6), coincidentally, both of them have an older AMD CPU, one is an Athlon 64 x2, and the other one is an Athlon II x2 4400e, the former with ATI GPU (Radeon Xpress 1250) the latter with Nvidia 6150SE GPU (this one already worked only with nouveau.noaccel=1 boot parameter, otherwise it would show a garbled screen a couple minutes after getting to desktop).

Why I mention GPUs there? because even with nomodeset or any safe booting parameter, they will freeze, no tty, nothing...so I guess it's probably related to some CPU instruction.

Comment

Well, I think nobody is against having fever bugs, be it on release or detecting them after several years, it's probably just nearly everybody kind of accepted doing computing, or better, doing anything, is pretty hard. I would assume there are even firmware and other software updates for avionics, car control systems, house plumbing, financial broking software or medical equipment, despite the regulatory and quality demands and penalties and court cases.

Probably everybody would gladly accept help in preventing bugs in the first place, which is probably why Rust and Co. are so popular; few people do bugs on purpose or get gratification from them.

Comment

Originally posted by ⲣⲂaggins View Post
                Now for the real test I've been waiting to perform:

Code:
                killall kwin_wayland
                session doesn't get killed

*chef's kiss*
                /KDE6.0.0/
                XWayland with the Nouveau driver crashed for me. Before, everything worked with the Nvidia driver.
                I stared at the black screen for a moment. After that, the desktop was restored to the state it was before, including running applications.​
                *chef's kiss*

Comment

Originally posted by woddy View Post
                  sophisticles you can always create your own DE, obviously free of bugs. If you haven't, these are just your words.
                  Funny you mention that, I did have the idea of creating a DE in Python using heavily obfuscated code so that no one can steal my work.

As you must be aware i do not believe in working for free, if I did create a DE i would not give it away for free, i would find some way to monetize it,

I do think that there needs to be a clean sheet fresh start for all of these DEs, Gnome, KDE, Mate, XFCE, the list goes on; they are old code bases and they just keep added cruft on top of cruft and you can see the results.

Comment

Originally posted by enigmaxg2 View Post
                    I have been unable to get 2 of my machines to boot after updating to Plasma 6 (KDE Neon 6), coincidentally, both of them have an older AMD CPU, one is an Athlon 64 x2, and the other one is an Athlon II x2 4400e, the former with ATI GPU (Radeon Xpress 1250) the latter with Nvidia 6150SE GPU (this one already worked only with nouveau.noaccel=1 boot parameter, otherwise it would show a garbled screen a couple minutes after getting to desktop).

Why I mention GPUs there? because even with nomodeset or any safe booting parameter, they will freeze, no tty, nothing...so I guess it's probably related to some CPU instruction.
                    How dare you besmirch of KDE and Neon? There is nothing wrong with it at all.

Seriously though, I was not going to say anything because i know people will accuse me of trolling but there is definitely something wrong with the latest Neon.

I decided to try what is the unofficial official KDE distro and when I tried to install it as a dual boot I ended up screwing my Windows install ( I always dual boot), the only other distros that have ever given me a problem dual booting with Windows is MX Linux and LMDE.

Because of my experiences I decided to stay away from Fedora and Ubuntu based distros for a while, give the latest Manjaro with KDE a shot, it's actually pretty nice, for a Linux distro.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Funny you mention that, I did have the idea of creating a DE in Python using heavily obfuscated code so that no one can steal my work.

As you must be aware i do not believe in working for free, if I did create a DE i would not give it away for free, i would find some way to monetize it,

I do think that there needs to be a clean sheet fresh start for all of these DEs, Gnome, KDE, Mate, XFCE, the list goes on; they are old code bases and they just keep added cruft on top of cruft and you can see the results.
                      It seems like a delusion of omnipotence!
                      Make your own DE, obfuscate the code, charge to use it and good luck, I bet no one will ever use it and it will still be full of bugs, which no one will find, because no one will use it.
                      Nobody pays to use a DE, maybe they do it for a distribution or operating system, certainly not for a DE.​

Comment

Working...
                      X