Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Code Merged To Overcome A Vulkan Performance Penalty

Phoronix: Wine Code Merged To Overcome A Vulkan Performance Penalty

Merged this week ahead of the Wine 9.4 development release due out next Friday is support for using the new Vulkan VK_EXT_map_memory_placed extension to overcome a performance penalty with Windows on Windows 64-bit (WOW64) for games/apps...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Steam is blocking me from running my system without x86 ABI

WINE supports WOW64 and it works flawlessly with Bottles/Lutris. However, the Steam client itself requires 32bit libraries
    Last edited by Kjell; 03 March 2024, 11:04 AM.

Comment

All game platforms just shit on the players, that's all. And the spiritual shareholders always defend them for free.

Comment

Continuing with testing, i compile lastest wine-git of yesterday march 01 (oibaf amd mesa drivers of today march 02), in this wine as commented before as added VK_EXT_map_memory_placed

And results are very impressive:

anno 1404 fix crash when try loading game without laa

dark sector fix crash in prologue scene if stay alone, maybe comment more later about fix crash when finish 1st chapter (another around 2 hours of gameplay video to trash XXXDDDDD)

007 legends have sound correctly and modded aspect ratio too without laa flag

at simple seek can recommend have lastest amd mesa oibaf drivers aka today drivers march 02 for use VK_EXT_map_memory_placed

resuming if next wine comes with VK_EXT_map_memory_placed like git, progess will be huge because virtual memory issue stay so many years in wine

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
          Steam is blocking me from running my system without x86 ABI

WINE supports WOW64 and it works flawlessly with Bottles/Lutris. However, the Steam client itself requires 32bit libraries
          Just install the freaking 32 bit libs? I bet they're a couple GBs at most or probably way less than that.

How big are your games huh?

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post
            All game platforms just shit on the players, that's all. And the spiritual shareholders always defend them for free.
            "Shit" on the players? Steam itself is like 1 GB. I bet the 32 bit libs are smaller than that. Stop bitching and freaking install them.

You've got WAY bigger bloat issues to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              Just install the freaking 32 bit libs? I bet they're a couple GBs at most or probably way less than that.

How big are your games huh?
              The idea is to:
              • Reduce compilation times due to redudant 32bit libraries (none of my games need them).
              • Save tiny amount of disk space.
              • Have somewhat lower overall ram utilization.
              • IRC this would get rid of "wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32)" warning when launching games through Steam.

Steam client on MacOS runs without requiring 32 bit libraries.
              Last edited by Kjell; 03 March 2024, 12:36 PM.

Comment

another huge improvement appear in xmen origins wolverine, in before tests this game show crashes suddenly

but now with lastest mesa drivers and wine-git dont show any crash in 2 hours of gameplay

Last edited by pinguinpc; 03 March 2024, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post
                  ...what? If you don't like it, you can literally just not use it. Meanwhile they are improving the kernel and graphics drivers on your machine for free..
                  It's amazing that people can complain about getting stuff other people are paying for for free. 😂

Comment

Glad I get my games from GOG. Almost every game runs with vanilla Wine plus some Winetricks nowadays. No need for Proton, Soldier, Lutris, etc. those times are long over.
                    Last edited by reba; 04 March 2024, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X