• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael

Typo

"they have noiw pulled" should be "now"

Comment

I have a 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor (not to mention some other devices that fall under same issue) that has traditionally felt a little too "small/tight" without scaling to 125% That is how I run my Windows partition and works pretty well. I was doing the same in Linux, enabling fractional scaling in Gnome and also the various Wayland-based tiling managers I use. I have install Ardour as do have an interest at some point in doing some music stuff. Admittedly looked blurry, but...

I have decided to run these things at native scaling. In Firefox I just set the default zoom level to what works in most cases, adjust the font sizes in my terminals for the same, same for VS Code, etc. In my tiling window managers, having the WM stuff small is actually helpful. Also, thought I read here recently that Xwayland may start supporting fractional scaling, though not sure how that works (but could maybe come into play here to be helpful.)

Have not launched Ardour since changing to this, but after reading this, a good time to give it a go!

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        That's why Ardour makes actual progress.

No, toolkit ports and UI redesigns are not progress, sorry zoomers.
        Depends on the requirements. If a different toolkit had features that:
        1. you require or
        2. basically do things you're already doing, and thus would make your development faster and cleaner or
        3. you rely heavily on the toolkit, and it's newest version is just simply better in every way
        Then porting is progress.

Similarly, if a UI redesign is done infrequently, and with the pure intention to make the user experience better and/or add additional features, then it is progress. If, however, it is done every 2 years with the express intention of removing features and copying a competitor (*cough*Firefox*cough*) then it's wasted development effort.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Why not, sounds kinda hypnotic actually,
          Watch all your plugins not to do things that would be unsuspected, like moving slider by itself... XD

Comment

Originally posted by Pranos View Post
            So no Wayland, while other Distros (like Fedora) switch complete to Wayland.
            Completely switching to Wayland doesn't mean the the desktop won't be able to execute X11 programs - there is always Xwayland. It just means that running your desktop natively on XOrg won't be (well) supported.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

There are quite some discussions regarding this in their forum and they themselves state that they hardly use any GTK-stuff anymore and that they won't be spending resources on porting to GTK3 when most of their code is using custom components already.

From 2019:

From Dec 2020:

Today (Feb 2024):

I love that they are very practical in their "cost-benefit-analysis". They software is progressing very nicely and continuously releasing new versions.
              I wonder what they plan to migrate to,

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I wonder what they plan to migrate to,
                Why do you think they are planning to migrate?

Comment

A more modern alternative that is already ported to GTK4 is Zrythm.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                    A more modern alternative that is already ported to GTK4 is Zrythm.
                    Interesting, I hadn't heard of that. In what way is it "more modern" and how does the feature set look compared to Ardour?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

Why do you think they are planning to migrate?
                      from the first quote

There are no plans to migrate to GTK3/4, the eventual goal is to move away from GTK.

Comment

Working...
                      X