No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Aims For A Nice Desktop Provisioning Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't "feel" any performance difference by building the kernel with "-march=x86-64-v3" but the kernel file size is slightly smaller in the end. It is also better than "-march=native" that can make the kernel incompatible between AMD and Intel CPUs. I don't try x86-64-v4 though since AVX512 availability is a complicated situation.

Comment

Wait a minute... Are they changing their Autoinstall process?

I've currently got PXEBOOT with a TFTP server working for 22.04 for a Ubuntu Server. This article says they are aligning the install experience for the Server and the Desktop.

Will PXE installs be different for 24.04?
      Last edited by zparihar; 05 February 2024, 06:52 PM.

Comment

I hope this includes an option for RAID in the desktop installer. I set my mom up with RAID 1 between two SATA SSDs 4 years ago and knock on wood she hasn't had any problems yet. Just had to use the server install and install xfce4 on top of that for the Xubuntu experience.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
          my old PC is still intact as a "test before pushing to production" platform and still more or less identical aside from the slower CPU and the missed update from 20.04 LTS, so I shouldn't need to procrastinate the update this time.
          I increasingly feel like this! I put my parents on Xubuntu 14.04 and it has been down hill ever since with each LTS being worse than the one before and something ALWAYS breaks when updating. I have been wanting to try them on OpenBSD but that is a non starter for a few reasons namely that they need Wine to play some old card games from Windows XP era. Also, OpenBSD core dumps Chromium all the time with normal usage due to bugs in Chromium. I've thought about FreeBSD but when I had a week at their house over Christmas my mom was like it isn't broken so why do you want to upgrade it. To a lesser degree she is just like my uncle who was using Internet Explorer on Windows XP to browse the Internet in 2022 who I finally got over to ChromeOS flex by basically telling him his web experience was gonna get worse and worse until it won't work at all if he keeps using IE. end of Rant, ha ha.

Comment

Working...
          X