No announcement yet.

The Current State & Future Of GTK's New Unified Renderers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amazing how they got a low level performance oriented interface to be slower than opengl designed for old hardware with different design than graphics processors from the past decade.

And if i'm not wrong, since vulkan is low level there won't be any "optimizations" available by working around some gotchas of eg. opengl, it all hangs on the architecture of your code. So they rather will have to rewrite significant parts of it and pray the external interface does not have to be broken in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by fulalas View Post
      Of course GNOME team is doing that...
      I'm not even sure what you're rolling your eyes about. They're being asked to build with Vulkan. it's not the default renderer, it's just there for testing so that someone would be able to export an environmental variable to enable it if they want. The New GL renderer is the default for testing purposes. The fact that it's slower is irrelevant because, if you read the actual blog post, you'd see that even though it's not faster than the old GL renderer at the moment, it's more correct as in it has fewer rendering issues. it also enables features like fractional scaling which means that an application can actually be drawn at 1.5x scale and displayed as-is by the compositor instead of rendering at 2x and getting scaled down by the compositor. In those scenarios it may actually be a faster.

Knowledge is power.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
        I wish there would be a modern book about GTK3 and GTK4 programming with Rust or Python

all the books on amazon and ebay is only about GTK2 and programm GTK2 with C.

GTK2 is really end of lifetime with the last projects like GIMP move to GTK3 or GTK4.

it is same with Flatpak there is litterally no book for writing modern linux GTK4 Flatpak apps.
        I know Emmanuele Bassi spoke about that on one of his live streams. He said the issue with writing any programming books now is that they take awhile to make and will be outdated by the time they're released. It's best to just use documentation on the web as it's going to be the most up to date. A few of the Gnome developers livestream their coding so the VODs for those might be useful, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post
          yes thats nice. but by books i mean real paper books. sometimes i need a break from screen and then reading a real book is very good.
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
            I know Emmanuele Bassi spoke about that on one of his live streams. He said the issue with writing any programming books now is that they take awhile to make and will be outdated by the time they're released. It's best to just use documentation on the web as it's going to be the most up to date. A few of the Gnome developers livestream their coding so the VODs for those might be useful, too.
            right. but i really buy a lot of books like these. and i can not sit in front of my computer screen all the time.

so even if i admit all the facts you say here i still would love to buy books like these.
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

yes thats nice. but by books i mean real paper books. sometimes i need a break from screen and then reading a real book is very good.
              It's printable from that same page (and available under a permissive license cc by 4.0)

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                amazing how they got a low level performance oriented interface to be slower than opengl
                No it's not. If you'd managed to read the original blog post, you'd have seen that "the Vulkan renderer comes close to matching and surpassing the old GL renderer", it is only the new GL renderer that is (yet) slower than the old one. Which is totally expected for newly written code that offers more features and higher correctness.

Comment

Originally posted by keit99 View Post
                  if you want to use rust you'd probably be better off with a rust toolkit than GTK which is a C toolkit. (although it has bindings for many languages)
                  even when not using rust I would rather avoid GTK myself lol, I hope libcosmic gets bindings to other language, it's quite impressive how nice it is.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Iced is probably the most progressed. Xilem is interesting as well.

https://areweguiyet.com/
                    rather then iced directly, its probably better to work with libcosmic, since it builds on it quite a bit

Comment

This means those 10 years old Intel PC might be out of luck in future GTK support, since them won't have proper Vulkan driver support. I really hate that, since I still own a couple of such PCs and don't won't to ditch them only because of Gnome dev's decision.

Comment

Working...
                      X