Ubuntu 24.04 LTS To Ship With Some Extra GNOME Performance Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 24.04 LTS To Ship With Some Extra GNOME Performance Optimizations

Phoronix: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS To Ship With Some Extra GNOME Performance Optimizations

In addition to the GNOME triple buffering patches that still haven't been merged to Mutter's mainline branch, Ubuntu 24.04 LTS and upstream Debian are slated to currently carry a few extra performance optimizations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Here's me yet again virtually buying Daniel van Vugt a beer !

Comment

Why is it that redhat is known for GNOME, but it seems like the GNOME implementation to beat is Canonical (or at least, Debian)?

Comment

no canonical haters today, Im surprise, since ubuntu ships gnome become a good DE like unity before

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
          no canonical haters today
          sorry, I was busy!

Comment

amazing what canonical has done to gnome3. Until they dropped unity and switched to gnome shell it's performance was abysmal. They singlehandedly made an amateur show into usable. And it still continues. Why are these not upstream yet? Probably because the gnome people don't really know what they do, so if they regress they don't want to take on the responsibility. So they let canonical carry them so they can blame canonical.

Comment

I do appreciate all the performance optimization work van Vugt has done in Gnome over the years. However, after running Debian 12 for some time, which ships the triple buffering patch and then Fedora which doesn't ship it, I've noticed that for me it actually makes the animations more jittery. So with my Radeon RX 580 the animations were actually smoother without the patch. Am I the only one who noticed this?

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                I do appreciate all the performance optimization work van Vugt has done in Gnome over the years. However, after running Debian 12 for some time, which ships the triple buffering patch and then Fedora which doesn't ship it, I've noticed that for me it actually makes the animations more jittery. So with my Radeon RX 580 the animations were actually smoother without the patch. Am I the only one who noticed this?
                I didnt notice, but it can be a problem related with that card i test my laptop in ubuntu, arch gnome and fedora, using a igpu vega 8 its almost all the same in the three, i think triple buffering is more for weak igpu like intel uhd

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

I didnt notice, but it can be a problem related with that card i test my laptop in ubuntu, arch gnome and fedora, using a igpu vega 8 its almost all the same in the three, i think triple buffering is more for weak igpu like intel uhd
                  If you only have integrated GPU's, then triple buffering should actually work better with them. I've read that it supposedly gives large performance boost only on iGPU's.

Comment

Originally posted by Noitatsidem View Post
                    Why is it that redhat is known for GNOME, but it seems like the GNOME implementation to beat is Canonical (or at least, Debian)?
                    Because Red Hat due to their server focus doesn't really care about the desktop. Meanwhile Canonical have a heavy desktop focus.

Comment

Working...
                    X