No announcement yet.

PulseAudio 17.0 Released With A Few New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does pipewire-pulse will get those features soon ? If I understand, pipewire version of pulseaudio is a rewrite of the engine, while pipewire version of jack is a fork with rewire to pipewire, am I right ?

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
    Ok, let's wait for the pipewire update now.

Are there some audio sofwares that are pipewire native yet, by the way ?
    I use Bitwig Studio with pipewire, this is perfect, no latency, no configuration, nothing. Almost all the other apps I have uses pipewire-pulse, but they are well integrated.

If I want to sample part of youtube video sound in Bitwig, I stay on pipewire, firefox is on pulseaudio, but I can choose the "firefox" input on my audio lane, and start recording. I wasn't able to do that with jack without configuring things (I don't know where was the limitation).

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
      It's so childish to start a news article about PulseAudio by disregarding PA and advertising Pipewire in the very first sentence.
      You know that PulseAudio and PipeWire are made by the exact same devs, right? Michael isn't hurting any developer's feelings by pointing users toward PipeWire in a PA article. And if he's hurting a user's feelings, then that user cares far too much about a piece of software.

Comment

Originally posted by J.King View Post
        As long as you have pipewire-pulse installed (which I expect most people will for some time) you can continue to use pavucontrol. It works entirely seamlessly, in my experience. And, yes, as a mere mortal I'm glad it's there.
        Yup, that's what I do. But still, I count this as an pulseaudio app, not pipewire one.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
          It's a bit sad to see a new PA release when it's clearly been given the boot by most of the desktop distros. She's been good to us PA, but it's time to move on.
          For ordinary users not doing studio work PW won't make much of a difference. Maybe smaller latency, but ~15 msec latency was never an issue when playing cat videos from youtube. It's also perfectly usable for movies. Many games are also fully playable.

Comment

Battery level indication to Bluetooth devices
            That's absolute awesome and a must have feature!
            I wonder when will PipeWire have that too?
            It's very bad to now know how much time your wireless speaker or headphones still have.

Congrats and many thanks to the PulseAudio team!

Comment

Originally posted by markus40 View Post
              I switched over to pipewire on my laptops and Media PC/server right from the start. But had to switch back to Pulseaudio on my Media PC/server almost a year ago. After a release of pipewire the session manager switched to Wireplumber. Games and Kodi began to have an annoying tick every second on the HDMI output to my TV in the living room. I switch back to pipewire every time there is a new release. Tried a lot of 'solutions' in the configuration, like switching off suspend. But the tick continues. Pulseaudio doesn't have the same problem, so I'm glad it is still maintained.
              Yes but most Pipewire users have a word class rock band and require nanosec precision latencies. Playing Mr Crowley covers with a double humbucker guitar is impossible if the latency is large than one picosecond. Also their 1536 kHz 64-bit float audio HTPC Bluray videos sound flawed without absolutely perfect space metal cables and pipewire or jack audio core. There was this one home theatre competition. This guy had 20 pieces of 21" subwoofers (tapped horn), horns, electrostatic, alien dimension cables. He became second because the judges could hear the shitty lines of code in pulseaudio stack written by Mr Poettering himself. They could even decode the C sources for those lines from the audio output.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                That's absolute awesome and a must have feature!
                I wonder when will PipeWire have that too?
                It's very bad to now know how much time your wireless speaker or headphones still have.
                Oh, but it has for this case!

- https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Blu...evel_reporting
                - https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Blu...ental_features
                Last edited by reba; 13 January 2024, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                  It's so childish to start a news article about PulseAudio by disregarding PA and advertising Pipewire in the very first sentence.
                  This is Michael's extreme stupid bias in a nutshell, are you new here?

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

You know that PulseAudio and PipeWire are made by the exact same devs, right? Michael isn't hurting any developer's feelings by pointing users toward PipeWire in a PA article. And if he's hurting a user's feelings, then that user cares far too much about a piece of software.
                    Although I agree that no feelings are being hurt here, they aren't the same devs at all. PulseAudio was originally developed by Lennart and others developers have been doing the development for the past few years. Wim Taymans developed PipeWire and continues to maintain it. Here is an interview that goes into the details.

Comment

Originally posted by sobrus View Post
                      Actually I've got more problems (cracking sound etc)​
                      Hey dude!

I remembered reading your comment this morning and strangely enough I just experienced audio crackling for the first time ever and we've got the same CPU!

I managed to find 2 ways of solving it for The Expanse: A Telltale Series game where only cutscenes have this issue.

1) CachyOS EEVDF kernel with BORE patchset (linux-cachyos-lto). However, I didn't like it due to noticeable delay when switching between Electron apps in Sway

2) I reverted to linux-cachyos-eevdf-lto + added threadirqs kernel parameter + installed realtime-privileges Arch Linux package + added my user to realtime group. Boom, the issue is fixed!

I haven't tried your RTC FREQ trick but I've happily added it to my never ending TODO note

Cheers​

Comment

Working...
                      X