No announcement yet.

Plymouth Boot Splash Screen Sees First Update In Nearly Two Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two years is a really large gap for an update.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
      Idk why, but Fedora seems to be the only distro which fully hides all the boot logs and which has a smooth transition between Plymouth and the login screen. On Ubuntu based distros for example, I first see the initial kernel logs and after GPU initialisation I see Plymouth, but before the login screen, I see the kernel logs again for a fraction of a second.
      It's just the difference in polish between the two distros. One reason that comes to mind for the difference might be that fedora or ubunut uses earlykms while the other does not.

Comment

Originally posted by qlum View Post

Start up text that is barely ledgable most of the time as systems simply boot to fast. Personally only started using Plymouth this year, as Being able to see how many characters you type when decrypting dmcrypt is rather useful, especially with wireless keyboards that could fail. Either way there is nothing wrong woth not using it.

Ill take ledgable pasword prompts over showing mostly useless info any time.
        Your concern reminds me of Linux Mint decide to let asterisks show up when one type sudo password in terminal. Hiding how many keys one has typed is doing more harm than good to most people for most purpose.

Comment

I really think boot splash should be in the kernel, and not a user space service (and bundled into initrd).

even on Fedora there’s still the odd case where you get a log of some kind.

Comment

Originally posted by RAINFIRE View Post

That is so nice you can do that and I add that I am happy that you watch your closed source blobs being loaded by pressing ESC, if desired. I however prefer seeing my machine boot and it's progress. I can go back back to windurz if I want to see all the hiding of closed source loading, for which it has become very adept at hiding all sorts of boot & shudown activities... for your own safety and convenience lol. Those who trade privacy for ease deserve what they get but instead we just get all the whining about why they get so many ads and their machines are hacked.
            I'm happy that you're happy, truly.

I'm not running an OS that I don't control, so I know what I install, so there won't be any blobs that I don't already know about. I don't read fast enough to see what's going on during those 200ms my machine flashes the boot and init output because of my Samsung 990 PRO NVMe anyway.
            Last edited by dlq84; 22 December 2023, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OpenSourceAnarchist View Post
              Back in my day we'd just tape a pretty picture to the monitor!! These new Linux users have it so easy
              back in my day there was a tux logo on the top left corner of the screen for every core in the system.
              if you had more than one tux you were very very very lucky (or rich)

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post

Your concern reminds me of Linux Mint decide to let asterisks show up when one type sudo password in terminal. Hiding how many keys one has typed is doing more harm than good to most people for most purpose.
                Thanks to the internets, one can can find how to bring those asterisks back... The bigger problem is making asterisks visible when typing SSH password, that's another story.

Comment

While I don't see it's usefulness in the meantime fbcondecor silently died as well which was used for putting nice splash backgrounds on the deep terminals.
                  Like remember the purple gentoo, green suse ones?!
                  In my knowledge there is no replacement tool to do the same as the kernel support for this was rugpulled.

Maybe putting it back would be more useful than inventing init systems nobody asked for (midfinger).

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post

Thanks to the internets, one can can find how to bring those asterisks back... The bigger problem is making asterisks visible when typing SSH password, that's another story.
                    That's easy enough, you simply don't use passwords with SSH :-)

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post

C'mon, you can't just jump straight to incoherent babbling on the first response. You need to ease people into it. 3/10 - very amateurish schizo rant.
                      Thank you for the correction. You knowledge and obvious practice of schizo rants gets you a 5 out of 10 amateurish schizo rant ranking. I'm honestly trying not to give you the higher score you deserve to avoid all appearance of bias.

Comment

Working...
                      X