KDE Developers Continue On Bug Fixing Spree Ahead Of Plasma 6.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Damnshock View Post

KDE is not forcing you onto Wayland. Period.

You might be confusing that with Fedora KDE moving into Wayland only.

Let's keep this on topic and not open pandora's box about the Wayland situation
    Thanks, my fear has vanished.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Shh, don't let the Wayland fanboys hear you. They are still under the false impression that Wayland always works with Intel or AMD, no matter what.
      Why do you assume these are Wayland fanboys and not AMD or Intel fanboys? AMD and Intel's support for Wayland has significantly outpaced nvidia's over the years, so nvidia is always the first to blame when something breaks. This isn't fanboyism, this is reality.

Comment

Originally posted by smirky View Post

The iGPU in 6700k Skylake. Wayland works flawlessly on the 5.27.10.
        Since it is a Beta release it is not ready yet. Indeed it works flawlessly in the current release on your specific hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Shh, don't let the Wayland fanboys hear you. They are still under the false impression that Wayland always works with Intel or AMD, no matter what.
          you match that kind of few non intelligent coven unable to understand that the Beta phase occurs to test a non ready project in order to make it ready. But I'm not surprise your comment highlights your little intelligence, otherwise, a bit of wisdom would have been expressed. The same author of the comment has clearly stated that the current Plasma shows no issues in Wayland environment, but I doubt you can understand what this affirmation implies.
          Last edited by MorrisS.; 11 December 2023, 01:56 PM.

Comment

what's the easiest way to try it on ubuntu? is there any semi-official repo for 23.10 or even lts?

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post

you match that kind of few non intelligent grouping unable to understand that the Beta phase occurs to test a non ready project in order to make it ready. But I'm not surprise your comment highlights your little intelligence, otherwise, a bit of wisdom would have been expressed. The same author of the comment has clearly stated that the current Plasma shows no issues in Wayland environment, but I doubt you can understand what this affirmation implies.
              Eh, I was talking about Wayland in general. Apparently, you match that kind of few non-intelligent grouping unable to read properly.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

What's the OS?
                openSUSE Tumbleweed with KDE 5.27 Wayland.
                Last edited by Vistaus; 09 December 2023, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Why do you assume these are Wayland fanboys and not AMD or Intel fanboys? AMD and Intel's support for Wayland has significantly outpaced nvidia's over the years, so nvidia is always the first to blame when something breaks. This isn't fanboyism, this is reality.
                  So then why doesn't KDE 5.27 Wayland work on my dad's AMD PC (it does work on my AMD PC), if AMD's support is always superior, according to you? His PC is a 2022-2023 model, so it's not old at all.

And skeevy420 couldn't get it to work on AMD either until earlier this year: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...28#post1427328 Also false, right? Because AMD is superior.

And why can't someone else in this topic can't get Wayland to work on his Intel PC and I couldn't get it to work on my previous Intel PC? Intel is also supposed to be always superior, according to you.
                  Last edited by Vistaus; 10 December 2023, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

I am a laptop user and I've used Plasma Wayland with it fulltime for 3 years. There's more to using a laptop then touchpad gestures--which we do have. And they've changed for the better IMO for Plasma 6. If you don't like the current touchpad gestures, that's fine, but your comment feels a bit like saying, "This car is unusable because the shifter is located on the wheel instead of the center console". Ok, I get that you don't like it, but sheesh, have a bit of perspective. One might even say, be a bit more... open minded! I know, I know, this is the Phoronix comment section, but hey, I'm an optimist.
                    Man they are hardcoded with no way to rearrange or disable them (at least on Plasma 5). Yes, this car is unusable because instead of turning left it as one would expect it starts to play some "don't worry be happy" music. Why do you think everyone needs desktop switching when using left-right gestures? Just why you're insisting it should be like this? I thought you're Plasma developer, not a Gnome one.
                    And yes, I am open-minded enough to see a problem with your approach and use a pointy stick to draw your attention to the issue. As for the perspective, well, I see lots of improvements in Plasma 6 and its Wayland session, but for the life of me I can't understand how a Plasma dev could make some feature "un-disableable" and un-configurable when configurability and customisation is a core principle of their DE. Simple by default - but what about the second part of the motto?
                    You started with the fact that you've been a Wayland user for 3 years. Surprise, I haven't been a Wayland user for 3 just because of this issue. My use case is simple: left-right are Back and Forward in browsers and Dolphin. Be with me, be open-minded, imagine my frustration when instead of navigating my folders I switch to a freaking 2nd desktop. Do one really needs to be open-minded to grasp the fact that the status quo is not ideal at very least?
                    Last edited by openminded; 09 December 2023, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post

In another update on the progress of the upcoming KDE Plasma 6 desktop environment release, there's some fun details from Nate Graham.

You were saying????????
                      Changing a default is the literal opposite of forcing, because it implies that multiple options are supported.

That's like saying KDE is forcing you to use kwrite as a text editor when you prefer emacs.
                      Last edited by smitty3268; 09 December 2023, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X