Wine Wayland Driver Lands Mouselook Support, Relative Cursor Motion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    I didn't notice perceivable latency difference (i.e. everything feels as responsive as in XWayland case), but I have no exact way to measure it either. How do you even test that?
    The simplest way is with a high-speed camera where you have a program that constantly writes out the input events of the mouse and then look for a muzzle flash in the game. Then count the delay between them. Definitely something Michael isn't going to waste his time on, even though it would be interesting to see.
    A screen recorder might be able to do this too, if it can keep up with the game's framerate.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 08 December 2023, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I didn't notice perceivable latency difference (i.e. everything feels as responsive as in XWayland case), but I have no exact way to measure it either. How do you even test that?
      There are adapters that have a camera that you stick to the screen and connect a mouse that can measure the time between clicking and the in game weapon firing. I think either gamers nexus or hardware unboxed has used one they got from nvidia. Could be wrong on which channel though.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
        cant wait to get until the first versions will make it into proton ge. xfree Desktop experience
        Should added a hyphen

An X-Free experience 86 years in the making, produced by Ron Howard

DunDunDunnnnnnnn

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
          Whenever this gets benchmarked, please compare latency and not just FPS
          Keep coping.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
            Keep coping.
            As a programmer, I see value in using newer technology stacks.

However, I can totally understand why end-users get angry at developers for rewriting "something which isn't broken".

At the end of the day I really enjoy cutting edge technology even if the gain is just +0.1%

Comment

However, I can totally understand why end-users get angry at developers for rewriting "something which isn't broken".
              88owf9.jpg

They took our X!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                The simplest way is with a high-speed camera where you have a program that constantly writes out the input events of the mouse and then look for a muzzle flash in the game. Definitely something Michael isn't going to waste his time on, even though it would be interesting to see.
                A screen recorder might be able to do this too, if it can keep up with the game's framerate.
                That's far from simple even for a simplest way

Comment

As a programmer, I see value in using newer technology stacks.

At the end of the day I really enjoy cutting edge technology even if the gain is just +0.1%
                  That's the thing, it's worse with latency, and in the past it used to be much worse (forced vsync for instance, locked to 60 fps, and so on). Do you feel backstabbed by your "cutting edge tech" yet?

Their priorities are casual users and security paranoia after all.

Comment

That's the thing, it's worse with latency, and in the past it used to be much worse (forced vsync for instance, locked to 60 fps, and so on). Do you feel backstabbed by your "cutting edge tech" yet?

Their priorities are casual users and security paranoia after all.
                    I have a 4k@144Hz monitor with low pixel latency which makes tearing extremely noticable and irritating.

I've tested every possible configuration and perfect frames delivered through variable refresh rate is the smoothest option in my opinion. This makes Wayland + VRR just perfect.

I can totally understand that forced vsync isn't appealing to people with low specs or low resolution + high refresh rate (like CSGO)

Yes, I play competitive games like Rainbow Six Siege in high rank on Windows just fine with VRR
                    Last edited by Kjell; 08 December 2023, 03:52 PM.

Comment

That's the thing, it's worse with latency,
                      How is it worse with latency? If you are using 60 Hz display, worrying about latency shouldn't be your concern, rather getting a better display should be.

Comment

Working...
                      X