Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrome 120 Released With Theora Support Evaporating, Adds WebGPU & CSS Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post
    I'm not going to cripple myself for morals.
    And why should you? I mean, morals and integrity and stuff like that is so annoying. Never sacrifice even one ounce of comfort for silly little things like freedom from 24/7 surveillance.

I applaud your heroic stance.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

And why should you? I mean, morals and integrity and stuff like that is so annoying. Never sacrifice even one ounce of comfort for silly little things like freedom from 24/7 surveillance.

I applaud your heroic stance.
      So they make money off my back. So what? I'm not sleeping hungry and there are no real repercussions. It would of course be different if the information they collected was personally identifiable. I'm not encountering any real privacy issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Eudyptula View Post
        Which is why you should use Brave Browser and stay far away from Chrome and Chromium.
        I use Brave on my Windows VMs, but I've rarely been able to get the AUR versions to compile at all (and I've tried all available versions from brave to brave-bin to git and dev versions) , and even when they do compile there are always various startup errors.

It really is odd, because I've never had problems with any other browsers on Arch, but Brave has always just refused to work. Which is really a shame because I prefer it over Chrome, Chromium, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post

So they make money off my back. So what? I'm not sleeping hungry and there are no real repercussions. It would of course be different if the information they collected was personally identifiable. I'm not encountering any real privacy issues.
          Based on your weird take on Google's data mining and your handle I can only assume you are here to just troll aka not a Linux user?

What usability would you be sacrificing by not using Chrome? No add-on support on mobile and soon to be gimping ad-blockers is not exactly the "usability" I am looking for.

Comment

Yeah, also Chrome based on Linux is about to get WebGPu support ready useful for Vulkan. Likely, it will be ready since the 121 release or the following release.

Comment

Always happy to hear more about webgpu benefits, the 32bit float limitation was quite something for computer workloads. glad to see it resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

Thorium Browser + UBlock Origin is faster and has less bloat
                I like Thorium, but it's stuck at version 117 and hasn't been updated since early October.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimefighter View Post

Based on your weird take on Google's data mining and your handle I can only assume you are here to just troll aka not a Linux user?

What usability would you be sacrificing by not using Chrome? No add-on support on mobile and soon to be gimping ad-blockers is not exactly the "usability" I am looking for.
                  On the contrary. I've been using Linux since the 1990s. Unlike a lot of people here, I don't use Wine to run Windows software. I don't use Windows or Windows software. I work at a company that writes closed source software for Linux. I don't particularly enjoy software development and it's killing my spirit. But I can't seem to find a career path that doesn't include technology and is open to relatively older individuals.

I would be sacrificing the integration it has into everything such as syncing data, contacts, passwords, visa card numbers, etc...i don't take stances on things.
                  Last edited by ClosedSource; 08 December 2023, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurphy View Post
                    Stopped using Google Chrome as it extracts too much data for their advertising stats etc.
                    Degooglified (ungoogled) chromium is a better fit for me in general.
                    How do you deal with missing codecs though?

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimefighter View Post

Also why obsess with trying to force people to use the software you prefer? it's a free country. I am entitled to my options.

Comment

Working...
                      X