System76 Stuffing More Features Into COSMIC Desktop Ahead Of The Holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cynic View Post

not that I have a better idea in mind, but this doesn't sound very good...
    why not?, it sounded very good for me, one windows don't completely overlap the other when opening, or open behind and you don't even see it opening

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

not that I have a better idea in mind, but this doesn't sound very good...
      I think what kwin does by default is put new windows somewhere there's free space on your desktop (not on top of your active window). That is, unless there isn't any free space on your active monitoT

Comment

It would be nice if cosmic-text would bundle the icons, I had tried them on windows since it's quite promising but uh, well ill let the image speak for itself. I do like the look of it, and it would be great if it could support windows since I really want a text editor that works on both.

EDIT: forgot images are handled wierdly on phoronix, image here https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...0198/image.png

Comment

For me this looks like Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
            not really a major issue with that, a lot of people enjoy the aesthetic of gnome and gtk, I dont really care one way or another myself. But considering that gnome is crap and GTK is complete trash to work with, having a good alternative, that looks similar is a very promising thing

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
              not a huge surprise as COSMIC is a modification of GNOME :-)

Quoting the readme on their github page https://github.com/pop-os/cosmic

COSMIC [...] makes the following changes to the standard GNOME Shell environment [...]

[edit: as you can see above i confused the COSMIC gnome modification and the new rewritten COSMIC-epoch which does not seem to depend on gnome. I guess it still looks a lot like gnome, as they were inspired by some key design concepts. With such a drastic change they could've given it a new name, though Computer Operating System Main Interface Components is just a really good acronym.]
              Last edited by jrkb; 24 November 2023, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrkb View Post

not a huge surprise as COSMIC is a modification of GNOME :-)

Check the readme on the github page https://github.com/pop-os/cosmic

COSMIC [...] makes the following changes to the standard GNOME Shell environment [...]
                The “old” cosmic is a gnome tweak, here we are taking about cosmic v2 (epoch) completely rewritten from scratch with iced and rust.

Maybe the team should move the gnome cosmic repos into a new github userspace when pop releases with the iced cosmic so that people do not get confused.

Comment

[edit: as you can see above i confused the COSMIC gnome modification and the new rewritten COSMIC-epoch which does not seem to depend on gnome. I guess it still looks a lot like gnome, as they were inspired by some key design concepts. With such a drastic change they could've given it a new name, though Computer Operating System Main Interface Components is just a really good acronym.]
                  an understandable mistake, Epoch marks a turning point, so like thats nice, but I very much agree they should have given it a new name. I've seen more then a few people make this mistake now, and it's something S76 will have to live with for the near future.

Comment

With such a drastic change they could've given it a new name, though Computer Operating System Main Interface Components is just a really good acronym.]
                    "Like wow man, I really dig that desktop of yours, looks really cool - what's it called?"

"COSMIC"

"Yeah man, it's out if this world, in full interstellar overdrive!"

Sorry, could not help myself In all seriousness, definitely keeping tabs on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

an understandable mistake, Epoch marks a turning point, so like thats nice, but I very much agree they should have given it a new name. I've seen more then a few people make this mistake now, and it's something S76 will have to live with for the near future.
                      The name is great. That is a problem only for the few impatient nerds like us for the next few months. Once it is released, everyone will just transition and not care about gnome cosmic anymore.

What matters to me however regarding the names is that they smartly stick to cosmic-xxx for every component and app that belong to the cosmic de. And so far they do really great with consistency.

Comment

Working...
                      X