No announcement yet.

Firefox Is Going To Try And Ship With Wayland Enabled By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are good reasons Steam and Mint both refuse to use Wayland in production...

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
      That if you are using gnome desktop.
      'gio' is part of glib, you don't need Gnome (or even Gtk) for that.

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
        'gio' is part of glib, you don't need Gnome (or even Gtk) for that.
        You can be using a desktop where that not installed. There are qt based solutions for wayland compositors were you don't have gio installed.

Lot of ways functionality should be like in xdg-portal and sdg command.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

That's Wayland - so many "big steps". Only took 15 years to work well with GNU/Linux desktop's default browser. Amazing rate of progress.

I can only hope to live long enough to see it work with my favorite window manager. One can dream.
          I really don't understand you...FF has worked in a wayland session for years, now by default it seems to be native wayland...but what's the problem? Backwards compatibility was done on purpose...do you know how many Windows applications run with some trick?
          People still don't realize that the Xorg - Wayland change is a historical fact, it's not a trivial change, but it's a new approach, obviously it took years, also because of the fragmentation in Linux, but the point is that let it be done, because Xorg is now a walking dead man, with many illnesses that doctors are no longer able to cure.​

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
            From what I see a very small percentage of Windows users are affected. Out of many dozens of people who I know use Windows daily, no one has ever been affected.
            I was affected and had to disable MPO a while ago. Some short time ago I tried to reenable MPO but got problems again, so its still switched off.

Originally posted by avis View Post
            The issue exists but it's far from widespread.
            Evidence? I ran into it, i know some people who did. There are tons of articles describing the issue on the net, just ask google. I wouldn't describe the issue to be small or seldom.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
              You can be using a desktop where that not installed. There are qt based solutions for wayland compositors were you don't have gio installed.
              Qt has a dependency on libglib, which gio is a part of…

(I’m sure you can do desktop installs where libglib’s commandline tools aren’t installed, but why remove useful functionality on purpose?)

Comment

Qt has a dependency on libglib, which gio is a part of…

(I’m sure you can do desktop installs where libglib’s commandline tools aren’t installed, but why remove useful functionality on purpose?)
                No you have made a mistake.
                libglib2.0-0 and ​libglib2.0-bin are their own package under debian and many other distributions. Yes gio is in libglib2.0-bin and you don't have to install that when you install Qt based envornments because it not in fact a dependency .

Popos cosmos done in rust also does not have libglib dependancy at all.

libglib commandline tools are optional extra a user may not have installed so you cannot depend on it being there.

And it not just install qt and rust based either that you find gio missing. Xfce installs its also common to find gio missing. xfce has it own exo thing.

From my point of view this is something that should have standard interface defined in xdg-desktop-portal with a xdg application.

At that this stage gnome/kde are going with systemd as session management so everything is kind of ok. But lets say something like cosmos decide to go with it own session management setting up it own cgroups starting a desktop file with systemd in that case would be mistake.

We need a stable set of interfaces for desktop session management to allow competition.

Comment

Working...
                X