KDE Plasma 6 Alpha Approaches Next Week With The Soft Feature Freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

While I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment (defense in depth and so on), I agree that I always disable session saving. I prefer to have my desktop start from a known, manually snapshotted state and application support for X11 session management was always a mess in my experience of it.
    There are two features related to session management. One is re-opening the windows in the same state they were prior to shutdown, and I don't use it myself either. Another is applications stopping shutdown process by showing "do you want to save?" dialog. This is a critical "feature" (actually I consider it a basic desktop functionality) for many users, including myself. For some reason KDE devs consider it part of one big "session management" feature (maybe they are related technically, I'm not too sure) and neither work in Plasma Wayland.

As a bonus, this also means that Dolphin doesn't remember currently opened directory (and tabs) when you shut down your PC while it's opened. Something I too came to rely upon when using KDE.

Comment

The issue of apps not prompting to save changes on logout is going to be fixed before we flip the "Wayland by default" switch. That's why it's listed as a "true showstopper." The fact that it hasn't been fixed yet should not in any way be taken as an indicator that we don't want to fix it or what we'll formally recommend Wayland before it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post
        The issue of apps not prompting to save changes on logout is going to be fixed before we flip the "Wayland by default" switch. That's why it's listed as a "true showstopper." The fact that it hasn't been fixed yet should not in any way be taken as an indicator that we don't want to fix it or what we'll formally recommend Wayland before it's done.
        I know. It will be done when it's done, I have not problems with that. We are discussing Fedora's decision, not KDE developers decision. Fedora have already switched to Plasma Wayland by default several years ago (while it was in much worse state than it is now), and now they decided to remove Plasma X11 completely when updating to Plasma 6.0.

Comment

Originally posted by equeim View Post
          As a bonus, this also means that Dolphin doesn't remember currently opened directory (and tabs) when you shut down your PC while it's opened. Something I too came to rely upon when using KDE.
          Works fine for me in Dolphin on Wayland: tabs and last dir are remembered after rebooting. But it doesn't work for other apps.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Works fine for me in Dolphin on Wayland: tabs and last dir are remembered after rebooting. But it doesn't work for other apps.
            That's strange, maybe it was fixed recently? I switched back to X11 several months ago. Had to use custom shutdown script to close dolphin on shutdown just before it's killed, otherwise it didn't remember anything.

Comment

Originally posted by equeim View Post

I know. It will be done when it's done, I have not problems with that. We are discussing Fedora's decision, not KDE developers decision. Fedora have already switched to Plasma Wayland by default several years ago (while it was in much worse state than it is now), and now they decided to remove Plasma X11 completely when updating to Plasma 6.0.
              Yeah, Fedora is a cutting-edge distro that exists to push forward the state of the art and force the world around them to evolve. And that's fine, it's their role. Anyone using Fedora should be excited by this kind of thing. Otherwise, it's a sign they're using the wrong distro and would be better served by one that's a bit more conservative. And that's fine too. There are many good distros to choose from if a cutting-edge one is a bit too cutting.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Yeah, Fedora is a cutting-edge distro that exists to push forward the state of the art and force the world around them to evolve. And that's fine, it's their role. Anyone using Fedora should be excited by this kind of thing. Otherwise, it's a sign they're using the wrong distro and would be better served by one that's a bit more conservative. And that's fine too. There are many good distros to choose from if a cutting-edge one is a bit too cutting.
                I guess the reason why it bugs me now is because I wasn't personally affected that much during previous transitions (such as pulseaudio -> pipewire one). Still, I would like them to let the new tech to cook a bit more in the owen before pushing it onto users (and I don't believe that "GNOME had complete Wayland support for years therefore we must make KDE use it ASAP at any cost" is a good argument, even for Fedora. You gotta wait for it to be done properly first).

Comment

I'm sure KDE is making good progress towards its 6th major release.

But I still can't figure out what's going on with Discover. Devs clearly don't want to fix it. They don''t want to kill it. But they still waste time on things like
                  A better way to present app ratings within KDE Discover as well as Discover's search being greatly improved upon
                  While a simple search in Discover is still fubar (has been that way for years and it will continue to be like that for the foreseeable future):
                  discover.jpg
                  Wtf would you show me "Sweet Ambar Blue" Plasma theme when I asked about Firefox?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Wtf would you show me "Sweet Ambar Blue" Plasma theme when I asked about Firefox?
                    Because it also searches descriptions, which makes sense IMO (even though I don't use Discover), and the description of that theme contains:

“Firefox: if you are a firefox user, you can give a chance to the sweet-dark extension for a better looking or try my complete Firefox-Sweet-Theme .”

Sweet Ambar Blue Plasma Theme¡IMPORTANT! Recently this and my other themes have been attacked by a bunch of crazy fake accounts giving massive downvotes trying to defame those themes, that...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      Because the description mentions a matching Firefox theme.

Comment

Working...
                      X