No announcement yet.

KDE Desktop Cube Effect Returns & Plasma Wayland Per-Screen Color Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many people would say that all these things are just useless. But i really NEED it. I have wasted soo many years of my life using Microsoft Windows that i can (without being funny or seeing it is a joke) that i really have like trauma left. It is like every time you see/hear or think about something that is the cause of your stress you also immediately get stressed. Well my case is Windows. Even if i just see somebody else using it i get stress, which brings back all the negative and stressful situations when i was using Windows in my personal and also professional life. If an employer would not give me the ability to use Linux on my work laptop, i would simply quit the job and search for another job.

Gladly at my current job i have Fedora installed with KDE and i have turned on the necessary eye candy so it takes away my stress reminding me i am using Linux and not Windows. Even now..just reading the word "Windows" i just get stress, because it brings back you could say trauma. The best thing that i can compare Windows with is a "straight jacket".

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

What specifically do you find hard to configure? Could you give some examples? And also mention the version of Plasma you were using when you encountered trouble?
      I will be happy to.

I am currently running Mint Mate edition, so I will use that as the base comparison and I installed vmware workstation player so that i can run the live ISO of Fedora 38 KDE edition as a comparison point.

Test scenario, there is a person sitting in front of a system running Mate and another sitting in front of KDE, they call me for help with the following issues, and I have to help them from memory:

Connect to the net using WiFi:

Mate - I tell them to click on the upper left hand corner, menu opens up, i tell them to click on Control Center, click on Internet and Network. click on Advanced Network Configuration, click the plus sign on the bottom left of the box that opened up and I walk them through adding or diagnosing their connection.

KDE - I tell them to hover over the second to last from the left icon that says System Settings / Quick Settings, i tell them to look on the left where it says Network, and then I tell them to go plow themselves because even looking at it right in front of me I don't know wtf that mess is supposed to be.

Honestly, KDE's system settings make Windows' system settings seem like a walk in the park and MS has made Windows' system settings as convoluted as possible in order to promote their Windows Certifications, so at least MS has a business excuse.

But KDE has no such excuse.

When a GUI is being designed it should be arranged so that a person without any computer background can sit in front of a computer with no help and within 10 minutes be able to figure out how to use 90 percent of all functions and feel like an expert.

That is the standard of a properly designed GUI. If your mother calls you on the phone while you're driving and she says "i can't seem to connect to the internet" or how do I do xyz, you should be able to guide her to the settings panel very easily from memory and fix her problem.

And No, Windows does not let you do this, but again, there are business reasons that i understand, with Linux there are no such concerns, yet the only DE i can honestly say i could help them configure their system while i was sitting at a red light is Mate.

Until KDE, Gnome, Budgie, et al can allow me to do that, then they have a long way to go.

Last edited by sophisticles; 30 October 2023, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

I will be happy to.

I am currently running Mint Mate edition, so I will use that as the base comparison and I installed vmware workstation player so that i can run the live ISO of Fedora 38 KDE edition as a comparison point.

Test scenario, there is a person sitting in front of a system running Mate and another sitting in front of KDE, they call me for help with the following issues, and I have to help them from memory:

Connect to the net using WiFi:

Mate - I tell them to click on the upper left hand corner, menu opens up, i tell them to click on Control Center, click on Internet and Network. click on Advanced Network Configuration, click the plus sign on the bottom left of the box that opened up and I walk them through adding or diagnosing their connection.

KDE - I tell them to hover over the second to last from the left icon that says System Settings / Quick Settings, i tell them to look on the left where it says Network, and then I tell them to go plow themselves because even looking at it right in front of me I don;t know wtf that mess is supposed to be.

Honestly, KDE's system settings make Windows' system settings seem like a walk in the park and MS has made Windows' system settings as convoluted as possible in order to promote their Windows Certifications, so at least MS has a business excuse.

But KDE has no such excuse.

When a GUI is being designed it should be arranged so that a person without any computer background can sit in front of a computer with no help and within 10 minutes be able to figure out how to use 90 percent of all functions and feel like an expert.

That is the standard of a properly designed GUI. If your mother calls you on the phone while you're driving and she says Ii can;t seem to connect to the internet" or how do I do xyz, you should be able to guide her to the settings panel very easily from memory and fix her problem.

And No, Windows does not let you do this, but again, there are business reasons that i understand, with Linux there are no such concerns, yet the only DE i can honestly say i could help them configure their system while i was sitting at a red light is Mate.

Until KDE, Gnome, Budgie, et al can allow me to do that, then they have a long way to go.

Or... you could just tell the poor soul to hit Alt+Space and type "connections". That's how user-unfriendly KDE really is.

Comment

Wouldn't you direct them to use the System tray instead of opening System Settings? That's much easier:

1. Click on "Networks" icon in the system tray. If you have wifi but aren't connected to a network, it will look like a grayed-out wifi symbol with a question mark in the corner. Pretty obvious IMO.
          2. Find your network in there
          3. Click on the "Connect" button next to it
          4. Enter the password and then hit the Enter key

Doesn't strike me as especially weird or difficult. The UX is nearly identical to how you do it on macOS or Windows. Manually adding the network shouldn't be necessary unless the network is marked as hidden, but this is unusual and not what a normal person typically has to contend with.

Comment

Originally posted by shinger View Post
            Many people would say that all these things are just useless. But i really NEED it. I have wasted soo many years of my life using Microsoft Windows that i can (without being funny or seeing it is a joke) that i really have like trauma left. It is like every time you see/hear or think about something that is the cause of your stress you also immediately get stressed. Well my case is Windows. Even if i just see somebody else using it i get stress, which brings back all the negative and stressful situations when i was using Windows in my personal and also professional life. If an employer would not give me the ability to use Linux on my work laptop, i would simply quit the job and search for another job.

Gladly at my current job i have Fedora installed with KDE and i have turned on the necessary eye candy so it takes away my stress reminding me i am using Linux and not Windows. Even now..just reading the word "Windows" i just get stress, because it brings back you could say trauma. The best thing that i can compare Windows with is a "straight jacket".
            Imagine having one's sense of self and wellbeing so utterly defined and controlled by the use of a computer OS.

This has got to be the biggest joke ever.

Step away from the computer and go pick up a hobby.

Comment

And now you are free from Windows's forced ads, links to monetized games, clickbait news headlines and other ones like the documented on https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malw...rosoft.en.html

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

And now you are free from Windows's forced ads, links to monetized games, clickbait news headlines and other ones like the documented on https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malw...rosoft.en.html
                Tbh that doesn't look like it was written by someone of sound mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Imagine having one's sense of self and wellbeing so utterly defined and controlled by the use of a computer OS.

This has got to be the biggest joke ever.

Step away from the computer and go pick up a hobby.
                  People experience things differently. You might have things that you find difficult that i would say ..bro, this is nothing, but i myself am not like that. Something might be small for me but big to you and something might be big to me and small to you. This is for that a good example.

Live life a bit more and try to be more understanding towards other would be my advice and yes i have enough of other hobbies thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Tbh that doesn't look like it was written by someone of sound mind.
                    Is there anything on that site, including the GPL, that looks like it was written by someone of sound mind?

Comment

You need help and so does the person that upvoted your post.

Of course, you could also be trolling, and if so, then nice job.

Comment

Working...
                      X