Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Optimizations Made For Making GNOME/VTE Terminals Go Faster

Phoronix: More Optimizations Made For Making GNOME/VTE Terminals Go Faster

Back in September GNOME developer Christian Hergert noted how Linux terminal emulators have the potential of being much faster based on his experiments. While at the time he didn't plan to pursue it further, in the weeks since he's been making enhancements to GNOME's VTE code that is used by GNOME Console and other apps...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Its nice. But terminals seem to run more than fast enough for me already.

Comment

"I still expect more work to be done around frame scheduling so that we can remove the ~40fps cap that predates reliable access to vblank information."​
      ......what? Eliminating this cap only requires changing one or two lines of code... I remember doing this back in 2021.

Comment

Any benchmarks already?

Comment

Great that the terminal is faster now, but its speed was never an issue for me. Missing ligatures is what makes me go through the trouble of installing an extra terminal. I hope gnome will add that at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl Napf View Post
            Great that the terminal is faster now, but its speed was never an issue for me. Missing ligatures is what makes me go through the trouble of installing an extra terminal. I hope gnome will add that at some point.
            I agree.

Also, input and output latency is even more important for me.

Comment

If I do something in GNOME, I rather just fire up plain, old xterm than touch that GNOME Terminal-thing. It's just so god damn slow that I rather deal with xterm's deficiencies than use GNOME Terminal. Then again, I am absolutely spoiled silly by how good the Windows Terminal is -- it's just glorious.

Comment

elduderino
                Were you involved? What about input and output latency? Thanks anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  ......what? Eliminating this cap only requires changing one or two lines of code... I remember doing this back in 2021.
                  Sounds like you only reduced the timing delays in vtedefines.h then. What I've done (patch is on the issue tracker) is to drive the display updates from the frame clock (which itself is driven by vblank timings).

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                    elduderino
                    Were you involved? What about input and output latency? Thanks anyway!
                    It's hard to say without one of those dohickeys to actually test from screen presentation time. But I reduced a significant amount of overhead in the ring buffer code and completely got rid of display delays so they're driven by the next frame clock request (once that patch lands). The latency to your child process will look like:

* Compositor gets event from libinput
                    * Sends event to GTK application
                    * GTK application queues event until next frame is started
                    * Key event delivered to widget
                    * Vte writes the content immediately to the child process without delay (unless you somehow type thousands of keys per frame)
                    * echo will come from terminal line discipline in the kernel, PTY FD will signal POLLIN
                    * Read happens on next main loop iteration
                    * Data goes into scrollback

At this point it will end up in next frame. So *some* amount of the latency will be the roundtrip to the kernel through the line discipline and I expect that has reduced simply because the extra timeouts will go away (again, once the frameclock patch lands).

But to get things really low, you'd want to get rid of any delay introduced by the compositor or GTK's event controllers.
                    Last edited by elduderino; 21 October 2023, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X