Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Might Finally Enable Firefox's Wayland Backend Soon

Phoronix: Mozilla Might Finally Enable Firefox's Wayland Backend Soon

While some Linux distributions like Fedora and Arch are enabling the native Wayland back-end for Firefox by default, upstream Firefox continues to not enable this Wayland support as part of their default builds. But -- at long last -- that might finally change soon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Firefox on wayland has been pretty nice for the last few years, good thing they finally build it by default and maybe activate it by default. BTW Firefox in Flatpak also has wayland enabled. Now they need to tackle the very hairy problem of finally following the XDG spec and one will finally be able to say that Firefox has made its full transition to into the 21st century!

Comment

Originally posted by User42 View Post
      good thing they finally build it by default and maybe activate it by default.
      I was under the impression that they have already defaulted to Wayland at least in the past year. Maybe I was confusing it with the news that they build with it by default?

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

I was under the impression that they have already defaulted to Wayland at least in the past year. Maybe I was confusing it with the news that they build with it by default?
        Yeah. They had it enabled by default in nightly/pre-release builds and some distros including Fedora retained that for the release builds as well (with firefox-x11 as a non-default alternative) but Firefox upstream only had it build but not enabled by default. Looking at the tracker, that is presumably changing shortly.
        Last edited by RahulSundaram; 13 October 2023, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I still remember when Wayland came forth on Firefox, it was one of the big pillars (for me) that made me use a Wayland Desktop Environment. Nothing is perfect, but improvements are welcome !

Comment

MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 ./firefox

For firefox wayland.

Comment

I am running Firefox with Wayland enabled via Fedora. No issues at all really. No issues with Gnome or Sway or whatever Wayland. I don't push the desktop usage too much with video conferencing or whatever, that happens in my Windows partition given more for work. But for more and more computing stuff, I am booting right up into Fedora (could be whatever), breaking free from the "other guys", albeit slowly

Now if I could just get VS Code to run on Wayland. I have a monitor that needs fractional scaling set (2560 x 1440) to look about how I like it scale-wise. VS Code doesn't handle this too nice, running on top of Xwayland, as one would expect.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                Now if I could just get VS Code to run on Wayland. I have a monitor that needs fractional scaling set (2560 x 1440) to look about how I like it scale-wise. VS Code doesn't handle this too nice, running on top of Xwayland, as one would expect.
                I don't use it but it looks like it should be feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                  I don't use it but it looks like it should be feasible.
                  Thank you for this. I did mention this as a subtle "if anyone knows, let me know" hint! Not that I couldn't have looked/searched myself, but with Firefox and Chromium the means to do this in the past seemed like they kept changing and a lot of what I found never worked until I figured out what did. Figured someone might be able to steer me clear! I'll give this a try, thanks again.

Btw, just followed some of the links from your link, some good reading there. Looks like progress is being made.
                  Last edited by ehansin; 13 October 2023, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I don't think wayland is enabled per default on Arch, and I can't find anything to the contrary in the build repo: https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlin...ckages/firefox

The Arch Wiki also still says you need have MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 in your env

I think this might be wrong Michael
                    Last edited by fallingcats; 13 October 2023, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X