Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PipeWire 1.0 RC Available With Jackdbus By Default, Improved IRQ-Based Scheduling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    I myself havent had any issues running zenkernel, no idea if the patchset is pulled into it or not
    Install rt-tests and run:
    Code:
    cyclictest -S  --policy=FIFO
    The numbers you see are µs. The max column is the one that matters. This is a latency benchmarch. What's measured is the time that passes between when the process is scheduled to run (e.g. to serve realtime work) and the time in which it actually runs.

With FIFO policy, the highest possible, it should be IMMEDIATE. How much is tolerable depends on how fast your CPU is at getting the audio work done, and how small your audio buffer is.

In my experience, with mainline, anything below 20ms will XRUN once in a while. With PREEMPT_RT, running pipelines at 2ms latency without XRUNs becomes possible.

YMMV.

Comment

So I un-LTSed a Thinkpad running Ubuntu Studio that I use for Linux audio work. Updated to 23.04.

As expected I got pipewire instead of jackd without being asked. Everything I do with jack seems to work except meterbridge didn't start at first try (started later so I couldn't debug).

Good effort I'd say. Didn't try their pulseaudio emulation yet.

Comment

unwind-protect

If you run into any issues the best place I have found for Ardour if you use it is Ardours search on https://discourse.ardour.org/

Right now I'm not using pw though, hopefully I will be further down the road. When I had it setup when I was running Manjaro it actually did solve a few non DAW related things at least for me. Probably the biggest reason I won't be touching it for a while is that I use Mixbus32c which is based on Ardour and have spent a few hundred dollars over the years buying Mixbus and then upgrading to 32c. Right now they only solve issues jack and alsa related, they lack the manpower otherwise.

If you buy Mixbus from what I understand you also support at least one of the Ardour developers which is good which I believe is the founder of the Ardour project.
        Last edited by creative; 10 October 2023, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
          unwind-protect

If you run into any issues the best place I have found for Ardour if you use it is Ardours search on https://discourse.ardour.org/

Right now I'm not using pw though, hopefully I will be further down the road. When I had it setup when I was running Manjaro it actually did solve a few non DAW related things at least for me. Probably the biggest reason I won't be touching it for a while is that I use Mixbus32c which is based on Ardour and have spent a few hundred dollars over the years buying Mixbus and then upgrading to 32c. Right now they only solve issues jack and alsa related, they lack the manpower otherwise.

If you buy Mixbus from what I understand you also support at least one of the Ardour developers which is good which I believe is the founder of the Ardour project.
          I actually use Mixbus, although not the 32c version. Not sure whether my version is up-to-date.

Should try Mixbus and MIDI on pipewire. So much to test, so little time...

Comment

Wait, I spoke too soon. I have both a Pipewire and a Jackd/jackdbus demon running. How is that even possible if both want the same listening port?

Comment

Originally posted by unwind-protect View Post
              Wait, I spoke too soon. I have both a Pipewire and a Jackd/jackdbus demon running. How is that even possible if both want the same listening port?
              Pipewire is used for some video streaming operations. Therefore a Linux distribution can have Pipewire running behind but not using it for audio switching.

Comment

Working...
              X