No announcement yet.

GNOME's VTE Seeing Improvements For Faster Terminal Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember having to mod VTE because it wouldn't render at 60 FPS by default...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I would love an update article like those or an addendum covering new terminal emulators too plus rerun benchmarks in vte ones and others.

Alacritty, Kitty, eDEX-UI, Simple Terminal, Tilda, ROXTerm, Eterm, LXTerminal, xfce4-terminal, Terminology, Deepin Terminal, LilyTerm, Sakura, Extraterm, DomTerm, Tabby, Rio Terminal, Zutty... and the one in Arcan.
      ... and foot

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

... and foot
        I agree!

Comment

At G-Research we have many developers using different tools for their work, and this includes many different terminals. Our open source team decided it was worth spending time looking for security issues in various terminals and related programs.

Comment

I'm not a heavy user of terminals, so I have to ask: where exactly you guys notice low performance on a terminal emulator? I only saw it once, running CMatrix in Konsole on a netbook with a crappy AMD C50 cpu.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              I'm not a heavy user of terminals, so I have to ask: where exactly you guys notice low performance on a terminal emulator? I only saw it once, running CMatrix in Konsole on a netbook with a crappy AMD C50 cpu.
              i suspect a lot of it is output when building large projects and not for mere mortals who take 10 seconds to type dnf update.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                If you want to know what is going on with your system and you run `top` or some variant of it, and top+terminal+compositor drown your system with overhead you can't see what was going on to begin with.

Comment

If this were still the GTK+ 2.x era, I'd be interested.

As-is, with the direction the GNOME HIG is pushing even some GTK primitives used in non-GNOME desktops and applications (eg. the unwanted and drop-shadows that only the GTK 3 version of the Breeze theme gives to context menus in irreplaceable applications like Inkscape, and which loves to play "I upgraded GTK. How the **** do I match and erase it in gtk.css now?" hide-and-seek, which turn into giant black borders whenever I full-screen a video on one monitor and KWin suspends compositing for the whole desktop), I see "Announcement: improvement to GTK technology" as a synonym for "Breaking News: Turd has been polished more".​

Comment

Working...
                  X