No announcement yet.

Linux Terminal Emulators Have The Potential Of Being Much Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For terminal or terminal emulator, the "speed" we care is will it slow down verbose programs, not will it get smooth 60fps...

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post
      For terminal or terminal emulator, the "speed" we care is will it slow down verbose programs, not will it get smooth 60fps...
      speak for yourself, mpv vo=tct go brrrr

Comment

Console is such a POS. For some reason it gets janky with full screen + multi-monitor. Alacritty, no tab support. Foot, no Wayland support (or if does, doesn't support scaling). The prospects are underwhelming.

Comment

Comparing terminal performance/speed without adding foot (git) (arch) to the mix is disqualifying from the start.

It's probably the quickest redrawing and most responsive terminal I ever tested (and those were quite many with the usual suspects as alacritty, kitty, etc.).

foot is also the fastest to open when called, which is important to me as I like my systems extremely responsive:
          Code:
          $ time foot -e /bin/echo 42
          real    0m0,030s
          user    0m0,026s
          sys     0m0,013s​

Even faster when used in daemon mode:
          Code:
          $ time footclient -e /bin/echo 42
          real    0m0,007s
          user    0m0,001s
          sys     0m0,000s​
          That's 7 milliseconds to spawn a new terminal window, echo and exit.

For comparison alacritty:
          Code:
          $ time alacritty -e /bin/echo 42
          real    0m0,145s
          user    0m0,096s
          sys     0m0,061s​

kitty:
          Code:
          $ time kitty -e /bin/echo 42
          real    0m0,852s
          user    0m0,941s
          sys     0m0,109s​

KDE Konsole:
          Code:
          $ time konsole -e /bin/echo 42
          real    0m0,217s
          user    0m0,135s
          sys     0m0,064s​
          Last edited by reba; 23 September 2023, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hohlraum View Post
            Foot, no Wayland support (or if does, doesn't support scaling). The prospects are underwhelming.
            foot is wayland native. README.md

Comment

Originally posted by Nout View Post
              So if you're happy with basic features then yeah you can go a lot faster than most terminal emulators.
              For people who have been using the terminal for a while and are experienced enough to only require "basic" features; one hint is to use TERM=ansi. From this you can disable a lot of the tacky "aesthetic beginner" stuff in programs.

Also, if you haven't already tried it; give a bitmap font a shot. Not needing anti-aliasing is easier on the eyes, renders faster (even without a GPU) and just looks better in general. One that I find very effective is Spleen. Sidestepping anti-aliasing makes the whole experience quite different. Fast, crisp and "modern".

Comment

I just hope this one get fixed one day

I've been using powertop on my librem 5 to identify applications with higher-than-expected cpu usage when idle, and noticed that kgx consistently shows up in the top list...

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post
                  Comparing terminal performance/speed without adding foot (git) (arch) to the mix is disqualifying from the start.

It's probably the quickest redrawing and most responsive terminal I ever tested (and those were quite many with the usual suspects as alacritty, kitty, etc.).
                  a fun test would be to run mpv vo=tct since it does get limited by console often something like below would work

Code:
                  time mpv -vo=tct -profile=sw-fast -no-config -length="0:30" -hwdec=no -framedrop=no -untimed -no-audio video.mkv

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

foot is wayland native. README.md
                    Then it just doesn't properly support scaling because I get the giant cursor over the window like I do with other programs that don't support it property. Probably some goofy Gnome specific thing. I found kitty which supports everything I need with some tinkering.

Comment

Originally posted by Hohlraum View Post

Then it just doesn't properly support scaling because I get the giant cursor over the window like I do with other programs that don't support it property. Probably some goofy Gnome specific thing. I found kitty which supports everything I need with some tinkering.
                      Maybe. On KDE and labwc is works perfectly well. I have no experience with Gnome.

Kitty and KDE Konsole support ligatures, merging for example "-" and ">" into a single drawn arrow.
                      foot does not but it's not strictly necessary for me; although in Sublime and IntelliJ IDEA is appreciate this.
                      Last edited by reba; 23 September 2023, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X