Firefox 117 Available With Local Automated Translation Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    Will the screen sharing indicator on Wayland fixed in the future?
    It's not broken. They removed it. As the quote in the article says:

"Firefox does not show a screen sharing indicator on Wayland any more. It never worked as well as on other platforms and desktop environments typically provide sharing indicators already."

Anyway I'm glad to see that they support CSS nesting. I love the visual hierarchy and reduced redundancy that it offers. I have it enabled in 116 and converted some CSS files to use nesting and they all became way smaller.

I'm hoping they soon enable Jpeg-XL in release builds and start working on CSS Paint support.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
      I saw my colleague using profile feature on chrome. I kinda surprised when i found we don't have that feature in ff.
      `firefox -ProfileManager` to select / create / delete profiles.

For some use cases, profiles in Firefox work better than Chrome profiles: it seems that network proxy settings in Chrome are global to all profiles, while it is a per profile setting in Firefox. Which is one reason I use profiles: to select a VPN / SOCKS proxy.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post

And this is basically a killer feature of Firefox. Profiles (btw Firefox has them too) are sooo far away in terms of usability.
        Yeah, Firefox does support full separate profiles as well, but the "containers" feature is amazing for separating your "user" sessions from your "admin" sessions from your "development" session into stuff like O365, etc... all while still running a single instance of the browser.

For me..that feature alone has me favoring FF by a long margin.

Comment

Originally posted by guspitts View Post
          `firefox -ProfileManager` to select / create / delete profiles.
          Or type
          Code:
          about:profiles
          in the address bar.

You could also run multiple profile simultaneously from this page.

Comment

I think its nice that local translations are now supported. unfortunately Japanese is not supported
            DeepL is nice but they cut some sentences like GT is doing. LLMs are worse in that regard and in the end i sit here with a dictionary and do it word for word myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
              I think its nice that local translations are now supported. unfortunately Japanese is not supported
              DeepL is nice but they cut some sentences like GT is doing. LLMs are worse in that regard and in the end i sit here with a dictionary and do it word for word myself.
              Wow, I saw this article and got really excited, then saw this post and got really disappointed. Not needing to use Chrome would have been great.

I wonder if this truncation is why I've noticed a marked decrease in quality of translation from both Google Translate and DeepL recently?

I guess local translations for ideogrammic languages is too complicated for local translation?

Hopefully in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
                I saw my colleague using profile feature on chrome. I kinda surprised when i found we don't have that feature in ff.
                It's actually Chrome that lacks the alt container feature, one of the biggest shortcomings I face when forced to use Brave due to poor Firefox performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Nozo View Post

It's actually Chrome that lacks the alt container feature, one of the biggest shortcomings I face when forced to use Brave due to poor Firefox performance.
                  Profiles make more sense to me.

Separate browser windows launched in separate browser processes with appearances determined by separate profiles makes it trivial to distinguish between browser windows doing different things.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I've always appreciated this feature in Chrome, so it's good to see Firefox has it. I have to wonder though if the local/offline translation wasn't really because of privacy, but rather, not having the right (or desire) to integrate with a 3rd party web service. Reminds me of cars that use thin plastics or remove features for the sake of "weight savings" when it's really more about cost savings.
                    Firefox Translations is a webextension that enables client side translations for web browsers. - mozilla/firefox-translations

The answer is EU funded development. So yes privacy was a key part of the design because of "European Union’s Horizon 2020" funding requirements with Privacy. It does not take much thinking to work out how online translation is bad.

Do note EU funded development so European languages only on the roadmap. Non European language support is not even planed for.

Comment

That's cool, but I want to be assured that my browsing footprint is untouchable when someone else is using my PC. So, its not the same feature.

Comment

Working...
                      X