Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• libinput 1.24 Brings Changes For Apple Touchpads, Drawing Tablets

Phoronix: libinput 1.24 Brings Changes For Apple Touchpads, Drawing Tablets

Libinput 1.24 is available today for this input handling library used by Linux systems both legacy X11/X.Org desktops and especially by modern Wayland compositors for unifying input handling in the open-source world...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That is "natural" scrolling. Also called reversed scrolling where scrolling down scrolls up, and scolling up scrolls down. Poor Apple users, can't even escape to the Linux world without terrible defaults following them.
    Last edited by carewolf; 25 August 2023, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the update info, Michael. On my Linux Mint MATE box, I have been running libinput 1.20 with an Apple Magic Trackpad 2. That, plus the combination of libinput-gestures, xdotool and wmctrl, along with some work on the libinput-gestures.conf, has already given me a more responsive and capable trackpad on my Linux box than the trackpad on my M2 MacBook Pro.

I still switch between a mouse and the trackpad, depending on my work/play-flow. But, AFAIAC, Apple's "magic" is gone [sound of B.B. King's "The Thrill is Gone" playing in the background].

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
        That is "natural" scrolling. Also called reversed scrolling where scrolling down scrolls up, and scolling up scrolls down. Poor Apple users, can't even escape to the Linux world without terrible defaults following them.
        Never used Apple but the "wrong default" is my scrolling setting too. At least on a Linux desktop I can easily change it. On the more user-friendly Windows... you can, provided that you go the mouse options, find the device id that identifies your mouse, open regedit and look up for that id, change the "flipflop" bit and... reboot the system. But only if you have system administrator rights. Otherwise you can't.

Comment

libinput has been both great and a great pain at the same time, been working with a fella on some tablets, calibrating devices is a pain and on wayland the only semi universal way of doing this is via udev it winds up looking like "ENV{ID_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN}=="1",ENV{LIBINPUT_CALIB RATION_MATRIX}="1 0 0 0 1 0"" which bloody sucks for the end user to setup. and ofc wayland being wayland, there are no universal tools for this.

use weston-calibrate to get the coordinates and plunk that in, or if you are a big masochist and a KDE user, you can dive through the kwin issue tracker to find a fork of their kcm-tablet module that has calibration and use that since technically kwin supports setting it via udev, I have no idea if gnome does, but knowing them they have some BS reason like it's not within their future designs for not supporting it. wlroots once again being the golden standard for having a fucking usable system allows you to set the calibration matrix directly via config, but you still need to get the matrix, and well it's wlroots, outside of a couple things, sway and wayfire are pretty much you have. so good luck getting a good traditional experience with it.

at the same time, custom mouse acceleration profiles directly in libinput is so bloody amazing. but libinput desperately needs to support a generic config file that isn't tied to compositor shittery. I realize this probably won't happen, but a man can dream. but sometimes, a man simply cant use wayland without suffering signficant head bash wall syndrome

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            which bloody sucks for the end user to setup. and ofc wayland being wayland, there are no universal tools for this.
            I thought OpenTabletDriver was meant to be a universal tool for such?
            OpenTabletDriver/OpenTabletDriver: Open source, cross-platform, user-mode tablet driver (github.com)

It works for Win, macOS and Linux (Wayland too apparently). I haven't used it myself yet, but I've heard good things

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

I thought OpenTabletDriver was meant to be a universal tool for such?
              OpenTabletDriver/OpenTabletDriver: Open source, cross-platform, user-mode tablet driver (github.com)

It works for Win, macOS and Linux (Wayland too apparently). I haven't used it myself yet, but I've heard good things
              ive not had great luck with it, but I suppose I could try again, however this is like using a sledgehammer for a finishing nail

Comment

Working...
              X